View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
ScubaP

Cool Re: Kayak Spearing Fort Lauderdale - help me out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdai View Post
hey all, i've been out of spearing for a few years nwo - used to dive in So Cal, just moved to south fl and got a kayak to spear off of.

I've been reading through regs before I go out and want to know where i cannot spearfish?

In So Cal there were very detailed maps of marine sanctuaries so there was never any question as to whether or not I was in a protected area.

Here the regs just read, "In or on any body of water under the jurisdiction
of the Division of Recreation and Parks of the Department of Environmental Protection" I can't spearfish or have gear.
But where are these areas? how are the boundaries delineated?

Anyone have any maps of the areas?

Also, can we spearfish on the artificial reefs here?

Finally, any suggestions as to where to go? I'm looking for relatively shallow spots - 25' or less within kayaking distance of the shore.

thanks in advance for your help!
Ok for the most part you have to be at least 100yards off the beach or ďswimming area to legally spearfish. For example I know of an awesome spot and itís off the lauderdale by the sea beach or Aka the Oakland ridges. Itís 4 reefs separated by a sandy medium. The first reef is about 50-60yarrds of the coast and extends for about 40-50yards into the ocean and after that are the next reefs. I honestly donít think a kayak is necessary for those spots and would probably hinder you. But the 4th reef which usually includes most of lobsters might be easy to get to if you had a kayak. The depth for the Oakland ridges wonít usually go past 25ft and is great spearing for about 1.5miles along the coast. I know of the good spots so if you ever trying to get a dive in Iím always down.
ScubaP is offline   Reply With Quote