View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #39
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Re: Educational Discussion of Michael Reed Accident/Incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
If I understand the way they dive, Rok shot down to that depth in a desperate attempt to rescue a good friend. It most definitely is NOT a safe place to be... 500 lbs and 235 ft.

HOWEVER, Rok would almost certainly have died if he did not do EXACTLY what he did (after making that extreme descent).

Inflate the BC (probably did not fill it), relax his legs, concentrate on trying to conserve air AND make a rapid and buoyant ascent from the deep to shallow water, where he performed an abbreviated deco stop. In a life or death emergency situation like this, the solo diver has no other choice (once he makes the decision to risk his life to save another). It is better to be bent or crippled on a boat than to be drowned on the bottom.

They take an extreme approach. Rok has gone to considerable trouble to try to help educate people about the unique dangers they face.

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...rig+divers+die

I have no intention to defend the way they dive, but his response to being on the bottom with the needle near "E", IS something we can learn from.
Agree with what you said. Im wondering if with his desire to find his buddy and narcosis might have caused him to make some less than smart decisions.

I agree they are extreme in diving. But that doesnt make their style correct. I really dont want to start a bashing thread about them however, what would we be discussing if Rok also didnt return?

It seems their extreme style might not had anything to do with what happened as the victim was on the surface anyways right? Maybe it was medical related.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote