View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
brandon cadalzo

Re: Ocean Kayak Malibu Two for Spearfishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
Merry Christmas guys

I'm looking at buying (due to budget constraints) an Ocean Kayak Malibu Two for my son and I to spearfish off. The one I'm looking at comes with two paddles and three seats and its cheap.

I'd like to rig it to spearfish off (cooler, anchor, straps to strap down guns and fins) and would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions in doing so. I've never owned a kayak but spearfish every weekend and would be able to get out more in the bay and sound than I'm currently able.

I realize this might not be anyone's 1st choice in a kayak but I'm on a very limited budget and would like to see if I could make this kayak into a spearfishing kayak.

Thanks and cheers to you all

I have dived off of this kayak a whole bunch of times! It's a great platform to dive off of as it is extremely stable and there's quite a bit of room to keep stuff. I think the biggest technical factor to think about is the weight capacity of the boat. Just make sure all your stuff plus you and your sons weight along with any fish you spear. If your not in real sharky areas and don't have to worry much about the tax man you can always leave em on the stringer and tow them in to shore. Overall I think it's a good boat and even more so I think it's awesome that you're doing this with your son and making some really cool memories. That's the coolest thing of all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk