Thread: Action in Cuba
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #47
virgili

Re: Action in Cuba

Quote:
Been there 3 times, but never really been able to find a way to go out, so I mostly dove on reefs close to shore (not a lot of fish, and very spooky!) Even at 30 meters, not a lot of life in some places...
I have been there about 15 times and never weary of being there... despite the fact that things are there often complicated. To get a "sportfishing boat" is an headache and impossible to do if you do not to get right connections.
Several places are outfished++. So you have to stay on some isolated spots ( wich are to far for the cuban population / spearo amateurs).
Years ago, I did my first steps with cuban colleagues by using small catamarans... and we got sometime a lot of problem with cuban coastguards, on the North Coast (in front of Forida) in particular. Since 4 years I have been prefering to stay in the South East, were the surveillance is more "cool".
I gave up trying to understand how cuban spearfishing legislation work. Spearing should be officially not allowed to non-cuban... but never had problemo. During my last trip, I was told that it has been tightened.?? So we did the things more discreetly.
After so many stays, I could during the last trip finally freedive 2 days in the blue water... and probably not any cuban spearo did that. The boat Cpt did'nt know were to go!!... so we have to explore the area looking for interesting spots (not any marine map aboard). But unfortunally and given the hurricane coming, we had to consider blue water of secondary importance.
Thank's again to my colleagues José, Luis... and the others: they allow me to share unforgettable sf. experiences!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat cuba 08-08.jpg
Views:	972
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	83654  
virgili is offline   Reply With Quote