Thread: Hogfish
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 09:38 AM   #20
slowboat

Re: Hogfish

20 % of the sites studied were on bottom that held 0 zero fish ,
the mud in Hawks Channel was a favorite site to look for hogs .
I read the study , discussed it at length with FWCC , Erica Burgess being one .
The study was skewed , from the start , based on an agenda from Jerry Ault ,
aka "biologist of doom" who couldn't find fish 20 years ago.
I have fished the Keys for over 30 years and where I fish , the populations are
thriving and healthy . FWC chose not to look in those areas .
The problem starts with classifying hogfish as "reef fish" .
They are not "reef " fish , they prefer inshore areas with current , hard bottom adjacent
to grass . That is where their consistent food sources are .
Find the food , find the fish .
My commercial landings are documented , and I have a VMS tracking device ,
100 lbs of fat Gulf species hogs in 3 hours can be verified repeatedly,, and that is by myself , 95% of the time.
Best day was 330 lbs in 15 ft of water, went back to the same area and did 175 lbs the next day . Those were full day trips by myself.
100 lbs a day is common for me in a 3-4 hour tide change. Consistently , for years.
Funny how the quota was filled while the wind was howling out of the east for all of October and most of November when few harvesters even went out , and landings were down . My spots were blown out with little to no visibility from wind and the crappy green algae water .
Does that mean there were no hogs there ? No, it just means I could not see them .
That is plain logic .
Now on the reverse side of the coin ,FWC biologists look at it differently , they believe that those unseen fish don't exist , if you don't land them , they infer there weren't any.
If you land a decent cooler , you overfished them . Their glass is always half empty.

FWCC own statistics verify that the highest landings occur during July/August (mini season)
but refuse to control that harvest.
Other posters have stated this also , and I feel it is a fact . 50,000 people came to the Keys during mini season and were "consumptive users", meaning they harvested seafood.
How many people took their yellow pole spears and shot and released how many hogs ?
Not just hogs but groupers , triggers , grunts , snappers and anything not moving fast enough die, only to be discarded since they weren't big enough .
Multiple trips ,( I help fill tanks at a local shop ) I fill your tanks how many times a day ?
Addressing that elephant in the room would take care of a lot of the problem .
The simple measure of shutting down hogs for the 2 weeks before and after mini season
probably would have taken care of the whole problem.
But instead , the 16 inch limit will create a massive throwback ratio during this time period. Actually making things worse .
Bad science , bad regulations , which still allow the least experienced harvesters to continue shooting fish they can't keep.
It would be very interesting to find out just how many fiberglass polespears are purchased each year .
We understand the lack of experience is that common denominator , and those dedicated to the activity will purchase better gear and become more proficient , reducing the throwback ratio on an individual basis . This group (you) end up suffering as a result of the pole spear users.
Another glaring mistake is by FWC is not being able to determine when hogfish spawn ?
So you get an 7 month closure ?
I have got to say sarcastically , Really ? Maybe if they ask someone who has landings when it happens , after all I gut about 500 lbs a week , a harvester might know .
This alone tells me FWCC has insufficient data to make a valid determination regarding seasons.

Might not be the same for your area , I can only speak confidently for west of Key West;
let me leave you with this thought :
knowing where not to fish is just as important as knowing where to fish.
slowboat is offline   Reply With Quote