View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #11
Ric

Re: Best GoPro 3+ filters for better video underwater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
You aren't the first to think that was shot in a tank, it is rare to see such a beautiful red carpet anemone in nature. Sadly, global warming and pollution seems to be having a bad effect on the creature.
forgive me, those clear water seem surreal to me. I think what fooled me the most was the uniformly blue background, like the back of an aquarium tank.

Quote:
With the Nikon, it was easier since you can set white balance before you video - have to reset when things change.
With the hero3+ I always left the white balance in automatic. Did it change during the shootings like with the Session ? I can't remember. Perhaps it could have, IF I had indeed put a white patch in the line of sight of the camera, that'd be the tip of my spear gun for me which is usually always visible, but I didn't want to do that. In dirty waters, during ascent or descent, there is nothing to focus on and nothing to change the white balance. This is why I often surface in a totally washed out Red or Blue hue landscape, consequence of the filter and because the balance has not changed since I hit the bottom.

Quote:
However, you mentioned time, think Power Director and the new Sony Vegas and maybe some of the new Adobe are all 64 bit platforms. There is a huge difference in speed. Maybe the CineForm GoPro is now 64 bit too?
Yes Gopro Studio is 64 bits. It won't even work properly on windows7-64 bit(my experience) You need Windows10.
The process is lengthy not so much because the software is 'slow' although professional software may be faster, but because the camera slices the videos in 12 minutes sequences (that's for the Session, I can't remember for the Hero3+) and then you have to do the work of clipping. My videos are typically 2 or 3 minutes long when posted on youtube, made of about a dozen clips out of a 2 hours long footage (sliced in 12 minutes subfootages as I said).
But the process is easy and simple in Gopro Studio.
Once the clips are sorted, this is where you can edit them individually, in contrast and white balance, this is also very simple and quite fast.
There is even a faster editing software that comes with a Gopro camera, called 'Quick', but this editing software forces you to use a Music background...You can not have it. What were they thinking at Gopro ? This is for ultrafast editing and fancy effect that you can do even on smart phone I believe.

Can you still find Gopro Hero3+ or 4 anyways ?
Refurbished Gopro Hero4 were available on the official Gopro site for a while for $279, while the Session were available brand new for $149 ! In two weeks the hero4 were gone. If you can't find them, you'd have to get a Hero 5, or 6.

Would I suggest the ordinary Session ? hmm, for an extra $100 I strongly suggest to go for the 5.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote