View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Re: Technical Spearfishing Instruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTaylor
Tony,I can see this as a very interesting subject. It should make for some lively discussion as well. In addition to the courses youve recommended... I think it should be mandatory for anyone wishing to dive deeper than the recreational limit of 130fsw should be required to read the book "Deep Descent". Its a great book on just how much trouble you can get yourself into if not trained and prepared properly.

I fully agree Rich. Great reading suggestion! I have had some close calls myself. That is why I preface just about everything I say about this subject of technical spearfishing with warnings and disclaimers about getting trained right. This is not something to take lightly. I know guys that would try to "bounce dive" that tower you see in my video on 31% Nitrox thinking they won't go below 130 feet. That is just crazy thinking. Sh*t happens, especially when spearing! The lesson here is that big fish can pull you down to the bottom or into wrecks and simply kill you if you do not plan for narcosis, oxygen toxicity, and increased air consumption at great depth. One must always assume they will be on the bottom for one reason or another and plan accordingly.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote