View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #8
grey2112

Re: Feds approve new Hogfish regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
I dove Monday off NPR and honest to god that was the most Hogfish I've ever seen to date. Every rock was holding 3-5 hogs. Most 12+ inches. We hit our limit after 2 dives. I thought it was peculiar. It was almost like they were congregating, holding a board meeting or something. My guess is they were breeding.

For the gulf coast I'd be fine with keeping the min. size at 12 and reducing the bag limit to 3. Of course we'll be accepting whatever they do. I just don't think we need the same regs on this side of the state.

On Monday, the spots we hit in 50 ft. were all loaded with hogs, mangos, gags and a bunch of big red snapper. Yes, tons of 16-20" red snapper hanging around on the ledges.
He speaks the truth - I was in the water at similar spots just a half mile away while he was up top - tons of hogs, big mangos, ARS, gags, etc. I've not seen this many legal hogs in 2 years.

I can see the argument both ways for lower limit or higher size. Problem is, as me and my dive buddies have noticed this year, is that we are SO used to fish being a certain size that if you change it drastically, even 2 inches, there will be a lot of now-short fish shot by people, both experienced and inexperienced. I know I've been a red-headed c*&t hair over legal on most of my gags this year, but I could have SWORN while underwater they were well over 24".
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote