View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
HurricaneBK

Polespear Build - Titanium?

A friend and I have been toying around with the idea of putting together a couple polespears for use in the Bahamas. Looking at the cost of some of the high end spears on the market, and the fact that he has access to a very extensive machine shop at his job building a couple sounds like a fun challenge.

Jokingly I said we should just use a solid titanium rod and mount the injector to that and call it a day. Doing a search through Spearboard it looks like someone used to make/sell a titanium polespear but most of the links and pictures I found to it are over a decade old and dead. Have any builders made one recently out of titanium or incorporated it into the build as say a front section?

Something like a 1/2" solid rod like this

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...7&top_cat=1353

Then have male and female threads machined into it - probably two 4' sections with a separate stainless butt and head section for the band and then the injector rod. Clearly a pricey build but when some of the high end polespears are retailing for $400 it might be fun to make a one of a kind one that's different.

Realistically we'll probably go with aluminum or cf, just something fun to think about and curious if anyone has experience making a polespear out of Ti.
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote