View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 10:52 AM   #24
HARVESTER

Re: Fishing for grouper at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Move North? That's new to me. Admittedly, you've guys have more experience than me. I also haven't heard of this phenomena of them being prevalent in July/August. That's something I've never heard of. FL cracker, here.
Taking about the East coast. They run all the way up to Hatteras. Not all, but a sizable portion. Can't convince me they winter over up there unless very deep. Very interesting species... Was fun chasing them around though.

Red Snapper were the Fish of choice for closures because they move in, out, North and South. Theoretically, they could propose a huge area of bottom closure to "protect" them (which they were seriously considering turning the firkin whole Southern Atlantic into a MPA, remember?

As far as Summer residency, I'm sure the spearos in South Florida remember what I'm talking about. They were nailing them and back then, I thought the same as you. The water was too warm I can remember thinking. Since then, I started paying attention to state waters. Sometimes temperatures stay pretty consistently cool along the beach over here. Also the thermocline rolling-in can be party time for them. I've seen 100 pound Warsaw in 80 feet and seen two separate environments at the same time - Cobia, Kings, Phins, Gags/Red Snapper above, all the other smaller stuff below the fog layer... Pretty cool.
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote