View Single Post
Old 01-21-2017, 06:46 AM   #5
FrogDiver

Re: Sri Lanka spearfishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
I can maybe try a spear pole ? I got all the equipment for pelagic and so. But I wouldnt like my gear to be picked up and **** up my holidays for that.

You might not have much luck with a pole spear close to the shore, getting that close to the grouper and parrot fish there was difficult. They're skittish. There's plenty of lion fish though. They're pretty tasty, just mind the barbs.

I'd recommend a travel pole spear if you must. Mako has a cheap 7'er that breaks down small, has lots of top options and starts at $40, were you to lose it. Mind you, they also confiscate things like fins, masks, etc. So the price could add up quickly.

If you're still gung-ho, buy a cheap used gun and take equipment you won't pull you're hair out over if it's confiscated. There are locals who spearfish and they will buy guns and equipment from you for nearly double their retail. Most of them are using ancient equipment.

If you're talking about a pelagic pole spear I can't offer much advise. I didn't get the chance to go out for open water. However, as a pelagic pole spear fisherman myself, I wouldn't risk losing that much gear. That's something you'll have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself.

PM me if you've got more questions and I'll answer what I can for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FrogDiver is offline   Reply With Quote