View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #2299
Ric

Re: Daily Vis report thread

@David, It must be the non stop rain and all that run off water full of organics.
I am no marine biologist but I think that the water is too cold and opaque for phytoplankton to metabolize the organics and nutrients, so they will accumulate until the water warms up again, which may well produce a nasty algae bloom next summer.
You may say that artic water is cold too, yet phytoplankton has no trouble to thrive, yes but artic water is clear, not poop colored to block light as ours.

I went to Barnegat Inlet 2 weeks ago and watched the water from the jetty during the transition low tide to high tide. It went from brownish to greyish, but zero viz anyways.

I would go again next WE or the next, but in Barnegat inlet, not Manasquan inlet, because its a slightly shorter drive for me (still 2 hours) and an easy parking spot. And the jetty is easier to walk at Barnegat with nicely flat top. It looks like the engineers designed the Manasquan jetty specifically to break your legs, if you see what I mean.

I would go to Manasquan inlet if there were fish to hunt, but in that cold water we won't see any fishes, or only in the deepest spot. Diving deep in a 7 mm suit is no piece of cake, too much buoyancy. But for practice, I am ok to dive in near zero viz at Barnegat.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote