View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #197
growingupninja
Lance

Re: Carbon Fin Reviews

Lost one of my beloved Bluetec Blade fins off the boat yesterday and so broke down and got a pair of Cetma Pranas (thanks Petros and Dave) medium in a Pathos pocket. Here is my first impression after tooling around in a pool today for bit....

Very nice fin for stereo bifin kick. The progressive stiffness feels great and provides instant torque and acceleration when I open the throttle. Make of the fin is very similar to my Bluetec Blade (one of the very early 'progressive' stiffness models), which is something I looked for, however the Cetmas have the crazy steep blade angle. I have always been a bit skeptical of the blade angle... it was interesting. The fin feels significantly softer on the forward sweep due to blade angle. Back sweep feels powerful but does not feel like more effort than my old fin. So, good power for traditional bi-fin kick.

Downside to the blade angle is that not giving the same thrust on the forward kick is that my dolphin kick feels a bit weaker. For many spearos this will be a non-issue, but when teaching, lobster diving, and spearing deep I use a fair bit of dolphin kick on ascent.

For depth competition, the CMAS rule is that if you are using bi-fins you are not allowed to do any dolphin kicks--you must do stereo/common kick when doing constant weight bi-fins, so for anyone doing CMAS comp this will be a non issue. I will be using the fin for competitive bi-fin at depth World's in Turkey soon...

Anyway, Cetma Pranas, very excellent fin for regular bifins, could be better if you do a lot of dolphin kicking in your bifins.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote