Thread: Goliath Rodeo
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #18
Bonedaddio

Re: Goliath Rodeo

Awesome thread, Eibwen.
FWIW, Eibwen is a good dive buddy, and dives well! We had a great time, except for the Triple G. (Greedy Goliath Grouper), oh yeah, and the “pull you into the Middle Grounds” current. Another dive buddy says jab them in the head...(myself, I would never do something illegal, never never) I don’t like them stealing from me either, the baaastaaaads!
I’m pretty new, it was my first experience with one.
I was about 7 ft. off the bottom, had a really nice Gag on my spear, was pulling him up to me, and the GG calmly loomed up under me like a Russian missile sub, and just sucked the fish and spear down! I got all “Gimme back my spear” (which looked like a toothpick in the corner of his mouth, I kid u not), and luckily yanked it out. Yay heavy mono line!
He then followed (more paralleled) either of us around, and moved quickly to wherever he heard the sound of a speargun. He’s clearly done this before, a lot!
I did try to face him down, and he clearly didn’t give a shit. At least he wasn’t diver-aggressive, that could of been stoopid on my part, and ended badly... he was freaking big around as a barrel, and every bit as long as Eibwen said. When I gave it up, I was 8 feet from him and was starting to fill up vision!
I think I finally got my GoPro rig working (it would shut off after five minutes grrrrr), next time there’ll be video, cause I’m pretty sure there’ll be one (thanks, damn fish-huggers!).
Yeah, if I can get a crew together, it would be great not anchor and follow the bubbles.
Then really had to swim to get to the boat. I’ve already setup a looong trail rope for down-current. And looking into a small, disable EPIRB.
Bonedaddio is offline   Reply With Quote