View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 02:46 PM   #55
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte
Re: Have you speared another spearo?

I have two stories

1978- Three of us were diving in the kelp off San Diego. One guy had an speargun. My abalone catch bag was fairly full and I was laying on top of it on the bottom working out another ab when I here a noise a feel a clunk. I look down and there's a spear shaft sticking in my ab bag and I look over and the guy has this strange look on his face. I guess the gun misfired.

2002- Ray Odor and I were diving the "Hot Spot" which is about 30 miles off Hernado Beach in about 45 fsw. We both are free shafting and as we head down Ray is out in front of me. He gets far enough ahead that I can't see him but know which direction he went. I decided to load up my second band and when I did the trigger failed and sent the shaft toward Ray. Holy shit! I just said a prayer. I found my shaft in the sand and fortunately Ray wasn't stuck to it.

Later I explained to Ray what happened and he didn't want to believe that the trigger failed. This was because it was hand made "by him" as well as the rest of the gun. So we get back to his house and standing in his back yard near his machine shop I pointed the gun skyward and loaded the first band. All's good. Then the second band and woosh. That shaft went straight up into his tree. I looked over and Ray has this strange look on his face.
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote