View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 08:48 AM   #62
Dr.P

Re: How long can you hold your breath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingupninja View Post
Dr. P, I think you are ignoring the effect of vasoconstriction, which we know is particularly strong for deep dives, and for DYN swimmers, although genetic factors seem to come into play outside of extreme pressure. Muscles definitely do not get to consume all the O2 they want during depth and DYN.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
...great point, and it actually was my original argument. My point was that this is more the result of aerobic stimulation, not anaerobic. Blood shunting to vital organs is the goal. The byproducts of anaerobic cellular activity - lactic acid, CO2, potassium - are vasodilators and would counteract the affects we are going for. In other words, these vasodilators would open up the large muscle arteries if anaerobic activity were occurring. I think it also must be considered that these byproducts are produced during regular, basal matabolosm, not only in anaerobic activity.

Again, I think the metabolism is more complicated and intertwined than just black and white. I only offered my original findings to show that when I was lean and aerobically fit, I could hold my breath for a long time. When I was lean and anaerobically fit, I couldn't. This speaks loud to me, but of course there could always be confounders. It would take many years to repeat this experiment, and I'm not volunteering to do it again, ha.
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote