Old 10-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
Mike Morgan
Spear-hoser

Lobster Question / Catalina Report 10/3

Short Report:
Viz: 12ish-25' on the backside. Greenish water with patches of blue mixed in
Frontside cleared up to about 30' avg.
Temps: 68-71 degrees
Game Taken/Seen: 5 daytime bugs; 8lb Calico and Saw a few Moss backs, lots of Bonita, and shit loads of bait.

Ran out of newport to try and salvage some YT before this cold front hits. Weather report was wrong by a long shot. Smooth crossing there and back. Light 12 knot wind on the way back, but that was minor. Pretty quite for the most part, except very large schools of bait on the frontside with bonita chasing it all over the place.

LOBSTER question
So after no luck on the backside looking for game fish. We decided to go hit a hole I found about 2.5 weeks ago that was overflowing with nice lobsters! I mean this was probably a 4-6 squarefoot area with 3 little caves and there was easily 60-80 bugs crawling on one another and I found this during the day...totally random. So I gave the "sure thing" speech and there we were. First in the water, found the spot in 3 dives and shot a big calico in one of the holes. After he was on the boat dropped my gun to mark the spot and quickly pulled a big one out of the cave + one more legal. After that spotted a couple shorts and that was it.

Now I know people "scout" etc. seems to have worked for Ben and company. Besides the daytime factor which should have had all the bugs back in their holes. I couldnt believe all of them were gone! Poof vanished. What do you guys think?
Mike Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote