View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Technical Spearfishing Instruction

So, why go deeper beneath the waterline? That remains a challenging question. Spearfishing is a passionate sport. Free divers and scuba divers love the beautiful sights, the risk, the amazing sea life, the buddy friendships, the weightlessness, and the satisfying experience of temporary departure from the normal world of most people. Going deeper than the recreational depth limit of 130 feet is a natural progression for many divers. And, that means getting some expert training from a qualified technical diving instructor. My technical diving certifications are Deep Air, Decompression Procedures, Advanced Nitrox, Extended Range, Technical Diver and Solo Diver. In my opinion, you absolutely must get comparable training and certification levels before you attempt to do technical spearfishing.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of having the proper training and certifications to do technical spearfishing safely. I would advise you to seek out competent technical instruction at your local dive shop or elsewhere in your community. I am not endorsing the following instructors in any way, but here are some Florida Tech Instructors that are spearfishing friendly:

Palm Beach, Florida Tech Instructor Diederick van Haeften is a Course Director for NAUI and multi-agency Instructor for ACUC, TDI/SDI, HSA, etc...With over twenty five years in the Business, he is a technical Instructor with TDI and IANTD and teaches over 160 courses in diving at colleges, children’s camps, fire and police departments etc. Diederick is my tech instructor. He offers a great "Five in One" beginning Technical Diving Course as follows:

TDI Decompression Procedures....... (Regularly $425.00)
IANTD Advance Eanx Diver............ (Regularly $350.00)
IANTD Deep Air ........................... (Regularly $300.00)
SDI SOLO DIVING CERT................. (Regularly $395.00)
TDI A.Nitrox to 150ft-80%Mix@30ft... (Regularly $350.00)
Total Regular Prices: $1,820.00

"Five in One" Special Price: $ 998.00*

*Manuals, Gas, Pool fees if any, Gear Rental if any and Dive Boat Fees are extra. Seven evenings or week-end Lecture Sessions, two Pool Sessions and 10 to 12 dives. Contact Diederick van Haeften at his phone number 845-866-4551 or his e-mail scubascience@hotmail.com

Tampa Bay, Florida Tech Instructor Chad Carney has been spearfishing for 33 years and teaching Diving Instruction for 28 years. He has taught thousands of divers of all levels in the Tampa Bay area since 1977. He is certified by Scuba Diving International and Technical Diving International (SDI/TDI) to teach from beginning scuba diving all the way to entry level trimix. Chad specializes in personal dive training for Freediving, Spearfishing, Kids Scuba, Open Water Scuba, Refresher Courses, Advanced Open Water, as well as most Specialties like Nitrox, Advanced Nitrox, Decompression, and Trimix. Contact Chad Carney at his phone number 727-423-7775 or his e-mail chadcarney@verizon.net

Pompano Beach, Florida Tech Instructor Jim Mims is the President and Chief Technical Instructor at Ocean Diving Inc. He is an accomplished boat captain and also serves on the Board of Advisors for IANTD. Captain Jim has been teaching diving since 1977 and founded Ocean Diving Inc. in 1979. Ocean Diving Inc. offers IANTD and DAN Instructor Certification courses as well as IANTD Recreational, Technical and Rebreather Diver Certification courses. Contact Jim Mims at his phone number 954-849-DEEP or his e-mail DiveTek@OceanDiving.com

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996

Last edited by SpearMax; 03-29-2006 at 07:25 AM.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote