View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Another Pneumatic recomendation thread

I don’t recommend guns as such, but the best advice is to work back from what you need the gun for. Most of the pneumatics are like peas in a pod with respect to inner detail, but different problems have occurred in recent times due to manufacturers handing their destinies to sub-contractors in China. Salvimar grew out of "Salvis & Figli" who made the small metal pneumatic gun parts for everyone else in Italy, so they know what they are doing. Their Salvimar "Predathor" is a rework of their "Vintair" which in turn is a rework of the Scubapro "Magnum" made and designed for the USA. So the choice is pretty obvious in my view. Dry barrels are a fad and really if you want a user gun that never gives trouble use a wet barrel version, which I do. If you are prepared to keep an eye on your spear's surface condition, then use a vacuum barrel. I have tried nearly all of them in the “interests of science”, but use a Scubapro "Magnum" for my everyday pneumatic gun, or more accurately when I don’t use my band gun.

High or low power depends on the proximity of rocks, you only use low power if it looks like you will smash the spear tip if the shaft misses or drives through the fish into the rock. I have smashed many tips, so hitting rocks is inevitable when shooting in a reef complex as fish seek to lose you in the structure.

As for the reach required, use this criteria,
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...loading+length

Last edited by popgun pete; 09-29-2016 at 04:27 PM. Reason: found my reading glasses and saw the typos
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote