View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 02:08 AM   #13
popgun pete

Re: Sea Hornet Handspear Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoa matt View Post
There was a Craigslist posting I was looking at last month. A person here in Hawaii on Oahu had a Sea Hornet handspear gun for sale. The listing was for the handspear which was coupled with a yellow fiberglass 3-prong spear, and an additional traditional 3-prong sling spear. The seller wanted $60 for both. Not is as good condition as yours Pete, the black plastic was all scratched up from years of use. I considered purchasing it for the novelty and for my collection, but quite literally couldn't pull the trigger. The listing is now gone.
The handspear gun handle needs a metal spear or the tilting washer trigger will bite into the shaft. The Asian handle copy I have seen teamed with a yellow fiberglass spear, how long that would last is anybody's guess. My handspear gun I dropped on the sand or drove the pranger barbs into the bottom to stand it up in shallow water so it did not accumulate much battle damage. I am sure Glen Preece still has a lot of those handles as sales dropped off when spearoes deserted the humble polespear. Early ones are a bronze plastic color, later models are black.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote