View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 07:08 AM   #2187
Ric

Re: Daily Vis report thread

@Jerseymud : my cell phone doesn't work for now...

Fantastic viz last Sunday at Barnegat Inlet. Saw tons of big Togs and Horseshoe crabs or a whitish beige variety of these 'crabs', some mating. I never seen horseshoe crabs there before. Rocks are finally covered in mussels, aka Togs food, but smaller, in my opinion, than last year mussels, perhaps an effect of a longer cold season ?
I didn't even shoot at the Togs, some where females with a full belly of eggs.

Anyways, I didn't go to see mussels, but you know what. But I didn't see much of it until just after slack. I entered water during high tide flow at 11AM and stayed all the way to slack at 2PM. And then I saw it. A huge Striped Bass, quite deep around 28ft as far as my ears could say, the biggest Bass I ever saw. It was alone, not in a school and moved very slowly counter tide (going to the bay) . I had several seconds to shoot when it was no more than 10 ft from me, I aimed but sort of panicked and disengaged the safe only half way, then shoot with the safe on. Anyways I felt like the gun was half jammed. When I finally shoot, it was just a ghost and that would have been a lucky shot. So I missed and that was it. Karma I guess. The battery in my camera was long dead to record that, but with the good viz i'll still make a movie of the other things with nice colors even at depth.

I guess we can expect 2 or 3 weeks more of good viz at BI and that'll be it.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote