View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Re: Panasonic toughbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghunter View Post
I a thinking about using one of these as my chart plotter. Has anyone used on of these? They can be bought used for $600-$1000 . Any thoughts?
They will not meet your expectations in a marine environment. In an enclosed cabin you might have a chance, but a drippy diver/captain will kill it in short order.

The biggest problem with tablets and laptops as marine units is the fact that the processors need venting and micro fans. This is an ingress for moisture and salt that play havoc with such electronics. Marine plotters cost so much because the only include the nessasary components needed that can function in a sealed unit. On vessels that require more computing power they utilize remote computing systems and marine application monitors...... Big bucks.

Right now I am considering Panasonic explororer toughbooks for my planning team. They are a "water resistant" and "sealed" unit for field work, but the down side is that they are $4k each.

For the most part the toughbooks are more noted for their shock resistance and stability. They do ok in inclimate weather, but prolonged exposer to moisture is not recommended.