View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 04:56 AM   #4
Mikel_24

Re: New to kayaking: Bic borneo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanny View Post
hey Mikel,
I see that you posted this last summer but I'll chime in anyways just in case you're still trying to find a good solution for your kayak with no interior storage. Try using something like a mesh bag or pack that you can secure onto your boat. The plastic crate is heavy and clunky and still doesn't have a lid if you flip or even get swept by a wave at some point. It's amazing to me how much can be pulled of the boat even with a small wave. The bag will collapse and give you more options/room and you could throw a waterproof container for a phone etc., a box for your mask and defog and put your fins inside a secure place. Plus, you'll have a game bag for the way back (stuff the fish in a trash bag if you want) along with all your gear. I would not put my weight belt or anchor in there though. For your speargun, you can use the ankle strap parts from surfboard leashes and lash them on through the brass swivel half that goes into the leg rope (removed with allen key) to the most rearward point of the kayak sidewall that you are able for a velcro speargun mount. Get them as far back as possible so the gun isn't in the way when you're paddling. Make sure everything you want to keep is lashed down and secure.
Just my thoughts.
Aaron
Aaron! Thanks for chiming in! All those recommendations are very welcome.

I only kayak in summer so I haven't had the chance yet to go back to the kayak and all kayak related proyects have been halted. The solution you are proposing with the mess bag seems legit. I will have to look into it.

I was also considering making a long, semiflat, with a lid storage compartment with a bottom formed to the shape of the two seats in the front that I don't use in Fiberglass or PVC. For the PVC joints I would have to rivet or get a PVC welder (any excuse to buy new tools is always welcome). Fiberglass is much more messy but I would be able to form it much better to the kayak shape.

I was trying to find the ankle straps for cheap somewhere with no luck. Even checked in Aliexpress but I will have to make them myself. Some nylon strap and some time with thread and needle in front of the TV should take care of it.

Will report back with some pictures when I get it done.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote