View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #46
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Have you speared another spearo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillotine View Post
Not me, but this is a true story. Two guys I usually fished with did a shore dive early one morning in the Northeast. I stayed in bed because it was too early and I am lazy and like to use a boat. Viz was marginal, as usual. One guy hit a striped bass. The normal procedure for us was to specify areas where we would hunt so that we would not be too close to each other. Anyway, they got close to each other which was ok except that the guy who got the bass body strung it. In bad viz, a striped bass shows up much better than a black wetsuit. So the other guy sees the bass and lines up for the shot when he notices funny shapes behind it which he recognizes as swim fins.
After the adrenalin flush was over, he went ashore.
Geez!

Luckily I've never encountered such. I broke my nose once upon shooting a speargun out of the water. My big brother handed me the gun cocked and I concentrated aiming it at a plywood target. I pulled the trigger and quickly found the butt of the speargun breaking my nose. DOH! it was a difficult lesson.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote