Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #76
handsoff
Handsoff

Re: What size gun do you use?

Nice! That 80cm should treat you right. I picked up quite a few new guns in the off season myself. Icthing to try them out. I think April I'll break out the gear and get to stocking the freezer again.
handsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #77
Istickfish

Here is a 30" rearhandle I am working on now. I am going to try a single 3/4" band to speed up loading. I have found this size gun to be about the best for my local lakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inprogress.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	169922  
Istickfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #78
NE Gunner

Nice gun! What type of wood are you using?
NE Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #79
handsoff
Handsoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Gunner View Post

Back on point...I am giving a 70cm Cressi pneumatic a try this year, waiting for the Saetta to hit the market. After conversation with some very knowledgeable guys on here, including Noble, I think that is a great size for the majority of freshwater shooting and visibility.
That size pneumatic is a pretty good choice. I think Aqua Assassin uses a Airbalete about that size and does quite well with it. The 70cm Airbalete has made it's way to my shopping list, too.
handsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #80
AQUA ASSASSIN

Although 70-80cm. is perfect for most freshwater spearing,the key for my hunting style is the shaft. I use the stock shaft as a backup and make up custom shafts that really make a difference when punching thru big fish and holding onto them.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #81
NE Gunner

Aqua...do you mind explaining the dimensions and make-up of that shaft?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #82
AQUA ASSASSIN

Like handsoff said I shoot an air balete and omer tempest guns. I use a 7mm shaft with a 3" flopper. I like the riffe 9/32 slide ring. I tournament shoot my fish meaning mid body so I don't lose them. Most of my spearing is competitive. So I don't shoot in the head,too hard to pull my shaft thru as I use a speed stringer setup. If I accidentally shoot a carp in the head its much easier to pull this streamline setup thru the skull instead of wasting valuable time "punching" a bulky setup thru it. Usually while a pack up carp are milling around underneath you!!! I also have spears setup with double wrap and triple wrap and use the one that fits the visibility the best. I've strung large carp way out of range because the pneumatic has so much power its insane. And I'm only pushing a "pencil" sized spear mass thru it. Also the pneumatic is lightning quick to reload for those times when your in the honey hole of carp and in a hurry to string as many as possible before they disappear.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #83
NE Gunner

Thanks Aqua...do you think I could push that shaft from a Cressi that uses an 8mm shaft or no? Are you going to Box Butte this spring? I just joined the RMSA and that's going to be my first tourney...ever. Kinda skeptical and have a feeling I am going to get spanked but hey it's all good fun.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #84
AQUA ASSASSIN

Your Cressi will be just fine. A lot of us have our own setups. Just find one that fits your style. Not sure ill make Box Butte,nationals is that next week. There are a lot of knowledgeable spearos that will be there and happy to help you out,just ask them.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #85
Andrew Makely

Is there a tournament at box butte that first weekend in June? I went to the one there last year and my friends and I were planning on going up there that weekend it opens, but I didn't know there was going to be a tournament. Funny how you brought up the tournament shooting (aiming for mid body), that was the only one I had been to and I thought everybody had really poor aim (which really didn't seem likely). Now that makes way more sense! I am a moron.
Andrew Makely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #86
NE Gunner

Yeah the tourney is June 2nd from 9am-3pm. Chalk me up as a moron too...I thought people just windowed'em because of poor aim too...lol.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #87
Andrew Makely

I am not seeing it on their website. I signed up to be a member a Box Butte but must have butchered my email because I never heard from them. Didn't matter though because I never made it to another. Can you register the night before the event?
Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #88
NE Gunner

I think so...get a hold of Noble on here he can tell you for sure.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #89
Andrew Makely

Thanks
Old 03-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #90
Deutschland Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

I think the RMSS is holding a tournament at Box Butte,NE on 2 June and one at Lake Mac on 15 July. The rest of the schedule should be release soon to include the 2012 US Freshwater Nationals.

Mako Spearguns
Deutschland Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote