Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #16
Smesh

Re: Rob Allen Sticky Mech Fix??

Sear is installed correctly. You can't install it upside down. But it will not engage by merely flipping the trigger release forward. You have to push up from the bottom of the sear. I suspect that the shaft will set the trigger/sear correctly. Whether or not it holds under band strength is something else, but I suspect it will without issue. Should be a very smooth pull now. Time will tell.
Smesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #17
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I never said it was installed UPSIDE-DOWN so i dont know what gave you the idea that it could be done that way...if you read my post it actually says, 'engaged in the up position ' thats in reference to when you put the pin in...
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #18
Smesh

Sorry dude. Still a little fuzzy from last night. Once I have my second Americano, I'll take a look.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #19
Smesh

Took it apart again. It has nothing to do with the install. The line release has a stop in its fully locked position. This stop prevents the release from pushing the tip of the forward portion of sear the few extra mm to lock the trigger detent into the rear part of the sear. If I could pull that trigger release back a bit more, it would lock. Also, there is a plastic pin inside that prevents the trigger release pivoting far enough to cock the trigger. It's independent of the sear. Did you remove plastic in this area? Did the design change since you made this video?

This has nothing to do with metal being removed, as it was just a tiny polish with virtually no metal removed and nothing in that area in particular. The only light sanding was done on the inside radius which is just a pivot point. I've done a ton of home gunsmithing and reworked a lot of much more complex firearm triggers, so I can't see myself screwing this one up.

Obviously, not all Rob Allen guns can be cocked using the method you demonstrate in your video. Once I have a shaft shaft again, I'll confirm. Still a great video.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #20
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Good that you have gunsmith work under your belt. This mech is stupid simple to you then. Its mind boggling how simple some mechs are and then how complex some are...

If you ever make the upgrade to the meandros you'll see what i mean by an amazing mech. It has a very crisp almost snap in like load and the line release tucks in before the sear drops. This is very important for accuracy. The travel of the trigger is substantially less then the RA mech and the pull feels fantastic . Now that we are talking about it, ill be sure to post the trigger pull lengths in my thread for future reference.

There is no doubt that Rob Allen has done an amazing job on these guns. I now have both a vecta 1 and 2 handle, multiple muzzles, and can see the improvements made. His gun is used all over the world and has taken some incredible fish. Many people swear by them, I can see why. But I like customization, and any more RA guns will most likely be getting the mech from now. With the exception of my 1600, the last thing that gun needs is more band stretch , plus 3 of the 5 shafts it has would be useless too
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #21
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

The meandros mechs are the best upgrades you can do for any pipe gun. I have had one in my pathos 130 since day one, best mech ive ever used in a pipe gun by a whole lot.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote