Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

Old 11-06-2015, 01:20 AM   #1
Savas_the_Greek

GoPro Session 4 Case?

Hey Everyone,

I received a GoPro Session 4 as a birthday gift and have some great footage with it. My only concern is that it is only rated to 33 feet. I was wondering if anyone tried purchasing a dive housing for this specific model? I have seen some stuff online but I am not sure how legit they are. I do like the fact that it is more compact than the other GoPros and that it is waterproof without a housing but I want to be able to take it deeper without worrying.
Savas_the_Greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:41 AM   #2
Savas_the_Greek

Re: GoPro Session 4 Case?

Hey, so I managed to answer my own question. I am giving credit to the Instagram user @captainsensei for giving me input on a dive housing he bought off of Amazon for the Go Pro Session 4. He stated the case is working out well and that it is rated to 40 m (way better than 33 ft without the housing). If you search Amazon the case is $20. I hope this helps others that may of been facing the same problem. On a side note...I love how compact the camera is and consider it being water proof without a housing a huge plus. I feel like I hear of so many Go Pro housings leaking and then damaging the camera itself.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:18 AM   #3
Benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savas_the_Greek View Post
Hey, so I managed to answer my own question. I am giving credit to the Instagram user @captainsensei for giving me input on a dive housing he bought off of Amazon for the Go Pro Session 4. He stated the case is working out well and that it is rated to 40 m (way better than 33 ft without the housing). If you search Amazon the case is $20. I hope this helps others that may of been facing the same problem. On a side note...I love how compact the camera is and consider it being water proof without a housing a huge plus. I feel like I hear of so many Go Pro housings leaking and then damaging the camera itself.
How do you like the camera overall? What kind of battery life are you getting out of it while diving?

I'm really considering getting one but not sure if its worth it to just pay the extra cash for a silver or black and have the option to swap in a fresh battery.

Thanks
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
Savas_the_Greek

I honestly love the camera but have never used one of the other go pros so it would be difficult for me to compare. One thing that makes it stand out from the other go pro's is that it is waterproof without a housing. So if you end up getting a dive housing and it leaks your camera won't end up becoming a paper weight hahaha. The down fall with this camera is that some of the other go pro cameras allow for better quality recording (higher frame rate & higher resolution) but I think my camera gets the job done. I do like the compact size when diving. I use the go pro head strap and put my wetsuit hood over it to ensure security of the camera. There are a lot of neat features with these cameras and I think they were designed well. You can also sync up the go pro session wirelessly to your phone to adjust settings and view footage.

In regards to battery life I usually get 2-2.5 hours of recording time. The camera has a single button for function. If you hold down the button it turns off and makes a beeping noise so that you know. I usually conserve battery and turn off the camera when I don't think I will be getting good footage (ex. swimming out during a shore dive) therefore the camera will typically last the whole time.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
Postyoa28

Savas, do you have any underwater video of the Hero 4 session? I can't find any diving footage from this model here in the Northeast.

Thanks
Postyoa28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #6
Savas_the_Greek

Yes, I have footage (not much though as I got the camera very late into summer). I have not uploaded it to youtube yet and was going to wait till next spring to get more. I will make a short montage after my final exams next week and share it with you.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:15 AM   #7
Savas_the_Greek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postyoa28 View Post
Savas, do you have any underwater video of the Hero 4 session? I can't find any diving footage from this model here in the Northeast.

Thanks
Here is my video filmed with my GoPro Session 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c1G-a32Ul4

Postyoa28, I started spearfishing in July 2015 and got the camera in August 2015...so I apologize if I do not have a lot of quality footage...still learning/a noob.

I used iMovie to edit this video.

Last edited by Savas_the_Greek; 12-17-2015 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #8
seanyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savas_the_Greek View Post
Here is my video filmed with my GoPro Session 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c1G-a32Ul4

Postyoa28, I started spearfishing in July 2015 and got the camera in August 2015...so I apologize if I do not have a lot of quality footage...still learning/a noob.

I used iMovie to edit this video.
Nice vid man, good work, the session 4 looks good...
seanyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:19 AM   #9
Savas_the_Greek

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyost View Post
Nice vid man, good work, the session 4 looks good...

Thank you. I will continue documenting my journey as a new spearfisherman in the Spring.