Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 07-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #16
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: Breath hold

If you dont have a timing device saying "hold my breath like a minuet.." holds little bearing. get a watch and see what those actual number are. You might be surprised that what feels like a minuet and half really is only 32 seconds...
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #17
ahoullis

no i have a watch to time myself, those numbers are correct ha
ahoullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #18
speargunhunter
favorite speargun? Wong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
Cool screen name One-Breath - welcome to Spearboard.

I see from your profile that you are 16 years old and your pic below is in your profile. Nice fish!

You are asking some really good questions. You might want to look into a freedive course such as FII or PFI or others. There are instructors near you.

Also, check out the DiveWise website here: http://www.divewise.org/

There was another young man that joined here a few months ago with the screen name GoProTheron. He lived in the Bahamas and was asking all sorts of questions. He recently died in the Bahamas Blue Hole while freediving. RIP

GoProTheron lives on in his Internet soul through this post:

How Much Deeper Can i Dive With freediving fins and proper gear?

I believe we can all learn a lesson from his brief time with us.

Be safe One-Breath and have fun! Tony

One-Breath

Best advice yet Tony. read thru the links Tony posted. Always dive safe and dont push yourself. RIP Theron

For me there's only One Choice...."WONG".

www.wongguns.com
speargunhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
surfandscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
If you dont have a timing device saying "hold my breath like a minuet.." holds little bearing. get a watch and see what those actual number are. You might be surprised that what feels like a minuet and half really is only 32 seconds...

For anyone using a gopro its worth looking at your timestamps to see how your dives progress through the day. Also being properly buoyant at your target depth goes a long way so your not constantly self-correcting or having to hold on to something to stay put
surfandscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #20
FreeRestriction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoullis View Post
i have the same problem out of the water i can hold my breath 3 min anyday, but in the water i can do like 1:30 i hope some of the things on this thread help me out, cuts my time in half grrr, best time 4:40
Is your Diving time as in spearfishing or swimming around 1:30 or is your static dive time as in face down in a pool only 1:30? the first one is expected, the second would just be a comfort issue meaning your not able to relax submerged yet.
FreeRestriction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #21
ahoullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRestriction View Post
Is your Diving time as in spearfishing or swimming around 1:30 or is your static dive time as in face down in a pool only 1:30? the first one is expected, the second would just be a comfort issue meaning your not able to relax submerged yet.
4:40 is my static time, and i can easily do 3 min, walking sitting ect. now 1:30 is while spearfishing either sitting in one spot or slowly swimming or "stalking" , i would say im relatively relaxed but im sure im not completely, any tips on helping to relax more? thanks for the help
Old 07-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #22
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

Quote:
i have the same problem out of the water i can hold my breath 3 min anyday, but in the water i can do like 1:30 i hope some of the things on this thread help me out, cuts my time in half grrr, best time 4:40

Take a freediving class. Trust me!!
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #23
FreeRestriction

Quote:
4:40 is my static time, and i can easily do 3 min, walking sitting ect. now 1:30 is while spearfishing either sitting in one spot or slowly swimming or "stalking" , i would say im relatively relaxed but im sure im not completely, any tips on helping to relax more? thanks for the help
For me when i breath up on the surface i go dead. I make sure im not using any muscle to keep an arm extended or anything like that. The feeling of not using any muscles kind of turns me into zombie mode and even though im looking at something im not really looking at it, its just a blank stare. I get an out of body feeling. As i dive the same feeling stays with me. Think like a sloth. SLOOOWWWW.... "oh look that harpey eagles about to eat me... Slllloooow mooooootiooon Bloooocckkk" bassically make your mind numb. Thats what i do anyways...

But dont think theres some thing wrong with a 1:30 working time. thats respectable and your probably doing better then 70% of the guys on this forum. But its good your trying to continue to progress. And like flamencoguru said, Take a class... i guarantee it will improve your dive times.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #24
ahoullis

thank freerestriction, i definitally have to try going zombie mode
Old 07-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #25
Judge

Young divers are impatient by nature, they want to double their time by tomorrow when they are going spearing. Bless them for the enthusiasm they bring the sport. However, improving a breath hold usually takes time, because the body has to develop. You can think of it like weight training, it is the product of a lot of gradual changes.

I prefer O2 tables for spearos, developing the tolerance for low O2 and forcing the body to change in that direction. Of course any O2 tables done in the water should be well supervised with all swims/breathholds watched from beginning to end.

I stay away from CO2 tables for spearos, because the body's reaction to high CO2 is what will save a diver when he is at the end of his breath hold and distracted by the hunting of a fish. He doesn't need to be tolerant of CO2. This is especially true for young men whose drive can push them beyond their physical capabilities. Better to have the CO2 effects, drive them to the surface.

This is different to freedivers training for distance/depth and time, they train to go beyond the urge to breath but they have safety divers all over them from beginning to end of their swims... or they should have if they have a lick of sense.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #26
FreeRestriction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Young divers are impatient by nature, they want to double their time by tomorrow when they are going spearing. Bless them for the enthusiasm they bring the sport. However, improving a breath hold usually takes time, because the body has to develop. You can think of it like weight training, it is the product of a lot of gradual changes.

I prefer O2 tables for spearos, developing the tolerance for low O2 and forcing the body to change in that direction. Of course any O2 tables done in the water should be well supervised with all swims/breathholds watched from beginning to end.

I stay away from CO2 tables for spearos, because the body's reaction to high CO2 is what will save a diver when he is at the end of his breath hold and distracted by the hunting of a fish. He doesn't need to be tolerant of CO2. This is especially true for young men whose drive can push them beyond their physical capabilities. Better to have the CO2 effects, drive them to the surface.

This is different to freedivers training for distance/depth and time, they train to go beyond the urge to breath but they have safety divers all over them from beginning to end of their swims... or they should have if they have a lick of sense.
Thats a good point. Although i dont THINK (i could be wrong) the average diver will ever see any benefit from higher tolerance of low O2 if they dont increase their tolerance of low CO2 because theyll be forced to the surface long before they see any significant Hypoxia due to their poor tolerance of low CO2, because lower CO2 levels has a much stronger and earlier effect on the urge to breath then low O2. But your absolutely right its a much safer way to go as a spearo.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:31 AM   #27
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

Great advice by everyone but I think a lot of the advice is far too advanced for the "beginner" freediver. I think these guys need to start with the fundamentals. It kind of like if you want to get into making race cars but you have no idea how an internal combustion engine works....

What these guys need to learn is how to properly breathe, how to move properly in the water and how to be safe divers... that's ultimately what is going to keep our "young gunz" alive and roll models for their peers.

I've dealt a lot with the younger divers through the Jr. Freediver program. I see the "invincible factor" all the time (of course you see it in some adults too). I try to keep them in check and have them understand that this sport is not forgiving. One mistake and it very well could mean your life. Look at GoproTheron, RIP.

Fellas, take a class. You won't be sorry.

Peace, Errol
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #28
growingupninja
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropisces View Post
Your breath-hold is function of efficiency which includes relaxation. Many factors influence your state of relaxation.

You may notice that at the beginning of the day that your dives last 30 seconds. Later they may go out to 1:30 and beyond. That phenomenon is probably due to the familiarity you gain over the course of the day with your surroundings. It is also due to the mammalian dive reflex, which becomes more pronounced over the course of a day of diving.
It's also that your body gets numb to the CO2 levels you are experiencing, so dives at the end of the day may feel easier but you may be running a much, much higher oxygen deficit.
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #29
One-Breath

thank you everyone for the feedback! i deffinetly want to make sure im doing it the safe way, and anthro, yes i will be at the florida freedivers meeting for my first time with a friend and his dad. hope to see you there!
One-Breath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #30
One-Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropisces View Post
Your breath-hold is function of efficiency which includes relaxation. Many factors influence your state of relaxation.

You may notice that at the beginning of the day that your dives last 30 seconds. Later they may go out to 1:30 and beyond. That phenomenon is probably due to the familiarity you gain over the course of the day with your surroundings. It is also due to the mammalian dive reflex, which becomes more pronounced over the course of a day of diving.

Please come to the Big Bang Open tournament weigh-ins and stop at the Palm Beach Freedivers table. Our president, Andrew Green and I would like to meet you and hope you will join our club. There are many experienced divers in the club who can help make you a safer diver with increased capabilities including bottom time.

You'll also want to come to our next club meeting in which Dr. John Shedd will present on diving first aid. If you really want to progress, begin making such contacts in the community. Notice that I didn't say "just dive alot with friends". Evidence suggests that age may have an effect on the likelihood of a blackout event. You may be more prone to such a thing simply because of your age, which is why it is critical that you take your participation in this sport seriously (you are not just "snorkeling").

Feel free to PM me and/or looking forward to seeing you at the BBO, or on August 16th at the Palm Beach Freedivers meeting at the Florida Freedivers shop in West Palm Beach at 7:00pm
i will be at the florida freedivers meeting, when and where is the big bang open?? thanks!
One-Breath is offline   Reply With Quote