Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #16
FredT

Re: Carter Lift Bag Review

I've used all types of Carter bags for over 30 years. This ranges from little 15 pound marker floats in coated nylon to large commercial lift bags rated for well over a ton each. They have always stood behind their products 100%, within the limitations of the material. The really light weight "personal float" bags have an expected material life of about 10 years with reasonable care before the lining starts to separate. The heavyweight commercial bags will do double that if shielded from UV in storage.

They also do custom designed bags, not necessarily used for lifting things underwater. For a short while the custom bags they were building as an OEM for my company made us the largest distributor they had. They have always made good products and shipped on time even when that was "difficult" in the oriental usage of the word.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #17
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

This is what I use to secure the float until I need it. It works well for a quick, one-hand deploy. Tuna Clip is on the stringer plug cord and I use light weight bungee/tubing rings to secure the float to the belt. when I slip the rings off the float (the rings stay on the belt), I unclip tuna clip from the stringer plug cord and inflate. I angle the purge and inflation nipple downward toward my feet to make it more streamlined. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	524
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	206700   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	206701  
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #18
Smesh

That's exactly how I run mine except the tuna clip is just attached to one of my bungies. My float line is attached to my breakaway, although I'm thinking of converting back to attaching my float line (nylon rope) to my gun and putting a monkey's fist in the end with a tennis ball inside it floats and I have something to grab at the bitter end. When using it as a regular float, I could just attach the lift bag clip to the base of the monkey's fist and if fighting a fish, I could pull the rope through the float clip to haul it in. Pretty easy to put a temp stop in the line so it can't pull through if it gets hung up.
Smesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #19
Smesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
AHHHHHHHHHHH FIRST FANNY PACK RECOMMENDATION ON SPEARBOARD!!!

Were all gunna turn into over-weight middle aged white women !!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Someone already speared those tuna. The float and floatlines are attached, but where are the slip tips?
Smesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #20
toptuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainphrame View Post
Smesh, get a rob allen crawfish bag and place it in there. The bag has many uses when diving kelp or structure, it will never open up unless you unclip it. I usually place gauges, flashlights, reef fish like calicos in my bag and it makes for a bitchen lob bag during the season.

When i used to shore dive, i used to place a frozen gatorade bottle in the pouch for convinience
Bad advice. Why would you want to carry around a bag? He is only worried about a carter float.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:42 PM   #21
shafe

smesh
i use a loop of bungee on my belt, centered on my back between my weights, to hold my Carter in place. the two valves on the float keep the bungee from slipping off the ends. the bungee cost me $.04

i attach a stainless steel caribiner (not a tuna clip) to a D-ring set closer to my front so i can easily detach the float.
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #22
NaClAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smesh View Post
Yeah I know but I don't want to spend $20 on a case for a $70 float when an ebay neoprene one is like $3. And a carabiner is free on a lot of cold drinks. It's not holding a lot of weight so any small one will work. I have a long line clip but I find carabiners faster and easier to use. When I'm winded and my hands are cold from being in the water a long time, long line clips can be a challenge.
Use a length of car tire inner tube. Cut 2 slits all the way through 2 sides as it lays flat. Run your weight belt through these slits. This way you can string weights on top of your case. Adjust the slits so that the interior of the tube holds your rolled up carter float snugly. I still keep mine clipped to a mono loop on my belt. I'm currently using an old wetsuit leg but it gets mein arse wet when I hike trails in my clothes. Just waiting until I can find an old scrap inner tube.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #23
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Lots of good info in this thread.

Ncaladdict, if you have a chance can you post a photo of your 'ass wetting' setup. Id like to see.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote