Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
bando

First time gun buyer...any suggestions?

Hey spearboard!

Aspiring "spearo" here hoping to get some veteran advice about making my first speargun purchase.

I'm looking to do some basic spearfishing (nothing too crazy)...mainly targeting calico bass, sheephead, rockfish, (maybe halibut, yellowtail and white seabass, if i get lucky!)...I'll be operating out of southern california (los angeles area)...maybe make some trips over to catalina for some calico/sheepie action...my budget is $100-$300.

I've done some basic preliminary research and so far I like MAKO...seems like they've got great customer service...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

~Bando
bando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Re: First time gun buyer...any suggestions?

What you're asking for is the automotive equivalent of an economical, 4x4, sports coupe, that can double as an RV. Don't feel bad, WE ALL wish there was a single gun that could do it all.

As a neophyte, you might want to partner up with guys who have guns to borrow, that way you can try out a bunch. In the meantime, an inexpensive polespear will teach skills that'll pay-off in huge dividends down the road...and set you back less than $100.00

*Welcome to SB, did I miss your intro?

Tank or Free, it's good with me
'o Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Kingspear
Dive And Let Die

PM Sent.

Ephraim

Kingspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Rob allen 90 with a tight 20mm band, I have taken everything but a yellow with it (pricked one with it once). Many seabass, scores of halibut and hundreds of our local reef fish, even Leopard grouper, barred pargo, and yellow pargo in baja. Very versatile length, you can crawl into holes with it and shoot fish from far enough away.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Bear Down
FÖKAI Fo Lyfe

I ordered a Mako 80cm to do pretty much the same kind of fishing you will be doing. It's in transit right now. First gun was a AB Biller 36 special. It was perfect for reefs but that's about it.
Bear Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #6
bando

Appreciate the feedback. I was looking at that gun too. lemme know how it works out for you
Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 AM   #7
bando

@ michael. haha thanks for the advice man. ill look into the polespears. and yeah, i dont know any spearos personally so borrowing might be tough at this point. plus i want to practice my freediving skills so that i can stay underwater for longer than a minute. lol
Old 03-16-2011, 12:44 AM   #8
bando

@KCP. thanks kyle. looks like an all around good gun to have. good luck to you on your yellowtail quest
Old 03-17-2011, 01:59 AM   #9
805mike

I do similar hunting as you and in socal as well. I started with a polespear then had a jbl carbine and currently use an Omer 85 cm. I think starting with a basic polespear is great advice especially if you don't have much diving and ocean experience. If you're dead set on a gun then a euro / railgun 70 to 100 cm would fit what you are asking for in your opening post. Shorter gun if you want ease of loading and maneuvering. Longer gun for distance. My preference sways towards comfort and maneuverability hence my 85cm current gun, but everyone is different.
805mike is offline   Reply With Quote