Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #61
mc diver 36

Re: Thinking of a gun build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freediver_Geide View Post
They have leopard wood 9.99 a bf good?

Sounds like a good price, I'm not familiar with the wood don't know if it would be good for building a speargun Maybe someone else with more knowledge on this Will chime in
Old 12-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #62
Freediver_Geide

I hope it looks really cool and is on sale
Freediver_Geide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #63
Freediver_Geide

My dad's friend brought over a part of a mahagony tree that is around 4 feet long with a 10" diameter with bark and all, how do I get it into boards I'll upload a pic when I am home
Old 12-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #64
Freediver_Geide

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	213095
44" long some sort of mahogany grown in the keys
Old 12-16-2014, 01:03 AM   #65
Wood Guy

Quote:
My dad's friend brought over a part of a mahagony tree that is around 4 feet long with a 10" diameter with bark and all, how do I get it into boards I'll upload a pic when I am home
Easier said than done. I would suggest finding a small local guy with a portable sawmill. They are out there, but you have to look. Have him cut it into 1" thick boards. Then you'll have to have it kiln dried. You can air dry it, but in Florida's humid climate that could take 2 or 3 lifetimes. If it's not dry, it won't be dimensionally stable, and won't be suitable for making guns or any kind of furniture (Moisture content should be in the single digits, ie , <10% for furniture- or guns.). If you can find the guy to cut it, he can probably also point you to the guy who can dry it. He can put it into a batch that he is drying. It's not easy, but the log will yield a surprising amount of lumber that will be perfect for guns and also for furniture and toys like rocking horses, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	213098  
Wood Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #66
Freediver_Geide

Do I need a planer to straighten the wood or just a table saw, my friend is gluing me a blank and if it warps do I just use a table saw or do I need the planer
Old 12-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #67
Wood Guy

You can use either one. If you use a table saw, clamp the blank towards one end against a straight edge or thick straight board, then hold the board against the fence of the saw. Gil Gacula posted some utube videos on how to do it. If you do a search I think it's on SP.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #68
mc diver 36

Quote:
Do I need a planer to straighten the wood or just a table saw, my friend is gluing me a blank and if it warps do I just use a table saw or do I need the planer

Here's the table saw jig I made after watching Gil's vid on YouTube . I highly recommend you make one, you can use it to cut tapers on your speargun stock also
Old 12-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #69
Wood Guy

Yup, that's the one. Just be sure when you clamp the blank to the jig, you don't replicate any twist the blank might have.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #70
mc diver 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Guy View Post
Yup, that's the one. Just be sure when you clamp the blank to the jig, you don't replicate any twist the blank might have.

That's a very good point. That was happening to me when I was doing some practice cuts and I was wondering what was going on , That explains it! wonder if you could incorporate an angle iron in there maybe on the backside of the blank(The side opposite of the saw blade) to hold your jig absolutely flat? Just an idea.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #71
Freediver_Geide

Can you use fiberglass cloth and resin to glue the boards of a blank together instead of epoxy? I'm doing a little test right now to see but I want other peoples opinions on it
Old 12-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #72
Freediver_Geide

Got a butt load of teak for 50$ at a yard sale and I'm gunna glue up a blank soon. Litterally if anyone needs scrap pieces of teak in the lower keys area I'll let you take some, I have a trash can full of small pieces that aren't really usable for guns, mainly corner pieces and some that you may be able to make a handle out of. Can I glue up a blank with fiberglass?
Old 12-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #73
Behslayer

This thread is hilarious. Freediver_Geide, can I ask how old you are? I admire your spirit.

Here's what I'd do. I'd get a bunch of Cheap wood that you have No intention of actually using for a loaded Speargun. I'd get some Titebond III or other wood glue, and I'd build 2-3 guns using El Cheapo wood. Poplar's not extremely cheap, but it sure cuts nice. After your third throw away build, then you'll be ready to honor some of the other woods you have there like Teak.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #74
Freediver_Geide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
This thread is hilarious. Freediver_Geide, can I ask how old you are? I admire your spirit.

Here's what I'd do. I'd get a bunch of Cheap wood that you have No intention of actually using for a loaded Speargun. I'd get some Titebond III or other wood glue, and I'd build 2-3 guns using El Cheapo wood. Poplar's not extremely cheap, but it sure cuts nice. After your third throw away build, then you'll be ready to honor some of the other woods you have there like Teak.
I'm 15 haha and ya I did a practice just doing all the router cuts with just one solid 2x2 of poplar and it came out really good for first try. I'm trying to figure out if I can use fiberglass to laminate, it seems like a good idea and I got a lot lying around. I got 3 meter sticks and fiberglassed them together and it is holding pretty we'll so far ithas only been a day or two but it's pretty solid
Old 12-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #75
phil herranen

Quote:
I'm 15 haha and ya I did a practice just doing all the router cuts with just one solid 2x2 of poplar and it came out really good for first try. I'm trying to figure out if I can use fiberglass to laminate, it seems like a good idea and I got a lot lying around. I got 3 meter sticks and fiberglassed them together and it is holding pretty we'll so far ithas only been a day or two but it's pretty solid
by "fiberglass" do you mean polyester resin ? if so , no it is not a good choice it will fall apart . poly is not a glue and is way to brittle when it is cured .

if you want to use a cheap very strong glue use tightbond III , but epoxy is the best choice

phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote