Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

Old 10-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
FiftyFathoms

good underwater camera

been looking around for a good underwater camera to get some nice sharp pictures. looking for a price around 600-800 with a good megapixel. if anyone has any good info on underwater cameras feel free to help me out

http://www.makospearguns.com/
Tell um' what you want, what you really, really want!
FiftyFathoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
macsub

Re: good underwater camera

i would go with a gopro, great for simple viedeoing and about half your budget.and you can take snapshots of your footage but if u are serious about photography then i can t comment further.
macsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
Kraken
I am the sea

Cameras are the cheap part...the housings are expensive. The contour cameras are pretty sweet for video but if you wanted a good still picture camera for that price I know panasonic has some good little cameras with fairly reasonable housings. Now you could get a nice DSLR for about 800 but then the housings are about quadruple that so Im guessing thats not what youre looking for.

EDIT: I used to own the panasonic fx37 and it was bad ass for how small and compact it was. Took excellent pics and just ok video. However they are discontinued. You can find them still around for alot cheaper than I bought mine which is cool but if you ever have problems youre kind of out of luck. The housing for it looks like it went up in price a little from when I bought mine but it still not bad. You could get the whole set up including a 16-32gb memory card for about $600 and it wont disappoint.

All these were shot with my panasonic fx37

Spearheads Spearfishing Episodes!
http://www.youtube.com/spearheadstv
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
UnderWaterLover

Troll ebay for "ikelite". Ive bought two housed cameras this way. Look up the camera on ebay for the housing and just match up what you want. Just be patient.
UnderWaterLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
AndrewK

Kraken you take some badass shots bro.... Those are sick.

Ive been through alot of underwater cameras, havent had one in awhile since I dont shoot photo too much anymore. The last time I was out with my friends shop up in PA doing divemaster work for them her daughter brought their sealife digital out. It was one badass camera setup, you get a point and shoot AND the housing together and its very user friendly and takes some great shots. Ive dealt with the people at sealife before (sold them at a shop I worked at in NJ and their offices were right around the corner) and they were great people. Theyre right in your price range too.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #6
Kraken
I am the sea

Thanks bro...Just got my new camera and housing in this week. Once this weather gets right you can expect to see all kinds of new pictures lol

My first camera was a sea-life. Decent little camera but it was low megapixel and the video quality was poor. I cant really complain though, it was cheap and It got me hooked enough to keep moving up the chain until I finally got what Ive always wanted.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #7
AndrewK

They really stepped it up with the new ones. I took this pic with my friends camera, it was in a quarry up north on a cloudy day but from 50 feet down lookin up the quality wasnt bad. I think it was the dc800 or 1000. Those have really good resolution, theyd probably be suited better for down here.

Another one, bear in mind its murky water but you get the idea of the quality.

Kraken, if I get another camera and make it out your way one of these days we'll have to go out for a photoshoot.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:01 AM   #8
wezz

I own a Canon Ixus. Bought the housing for the same price as the camera. In total I've spend €400. Must be $550 i guess. Takes high quality pics and shoots vids in HD. I'm happy about it but I use it only to take photos of my buddies or the fish. I also own a GoPro because it much handier if you are looking to mount a camera on your gun. The pics below are shot with my Canon but the water wasn't that clair that day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5731.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	161244   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5732.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	161245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5829.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	161246  
wezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
nutsmagoo

I use a Panasonic Lumix LX5 with a matching 10 bar underwater housing. The camera is considered one of the best point and shoot cameras on the market now. Video is 1080p. It also shoots in RAW which is a big plus. The 10 bar housing is made of aluminum and very heavy duty. The housing is ~$710 new and the camera is ~$375. I am considering selling it and may offer it in your price range. Everything is in mint condition. Let me know if you (or anyone else here) are interested.
nutsmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
Kraken
I am the sea

akapp im all about it..Ill never pass up a chance to go diving. However the water is generally a little cleaner out your way so maybe I should make a trip or two down there.

It really sucks ass when you drop 5K on a new camera and housing and cant even get it wet because its blowing 30knots here. Its KILLING me!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
fishingdude
Lost at Sea.....

Send a message via AIM to fishingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
akapp im all about it..Ill never pass up a chance to go diving. However the water is generally a little cleaner out your way so maybe I should make a trip or two down there.

It really sucks ass when you drop 5K on a new camera and housing and cant even get it wet because its blowing 30knots here. Its KILLING me!
Saw the housing on facebook nolan. It looks pretty sweet! If you could pull off those shots with your old camera I can't wait to see what you can do with this new one!!

4-6 is always better than 9-5

Check out my YouTube Channel:
SPEARFISHING VIDEOS
fishingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #12
dr.ed

Cannon S90 & UW Housing ~$600 ck'em out If you do lots of processing it shoots in raw Very good image
dr.ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
AndrewK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post

I feel ya there man. I havent been out over here recently myself.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
FiftyFathoms

I sent you a pm with my number nutsmagoo, give me a call if you're interested in selling that bad boy.

And kraken(is your name Nolan), I think you know one of my buddies that live down here in the keys. Jeremy foell or John guibe ring any bells?

http://www.makospearguns.com/
Tell um' what you want, what you really, really want!
FiftyFathoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
Kraken
I am the sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyFathoms View Post
I sent you a pm with my number nutsmagoo, give me a call if you're interested in selling that bad boy.

And kraken(is your name Nolan), I think you know one of my buddies that live down here in the keys. Jeremy foell or John guibe ring any bells?
Who is this John that you speak of???

haha jk yeah those guys are great! John and I are always pulling all kinds of shenanigans when im down there. Jeremy is always too busy with his woman to go diving though