Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

View Poll Results: Mako vs JBL vs AB BILLER
Mako 65 66.33%
JBL 16 16.33%
AB BILLER 17 17.35%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #31
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Re: Mako vs JBL vs AB Biller

Since many of the people are not on our facebook page, here is the left handle mold completed. Pathos is one of the few companies that create their own molds on all their gun parts so it does take some time to make new things.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_55068369046902.jpeg
Views:	1974
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	199396  

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #32
searun
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprus_Spearo View Post
Just got the verification from the factory that within a few months we will have the muzzle with pin on the left to make line wrapping on the right easier.
They also verified that we will be getting the left ergonomic handle as well as the universal handle. I might actually have some new items to show at The Blue Wild in Florida.
Will there be a line groove added on the right? I would prefer to have the gun ready for us weirdo right side loaders than have to put the Dremel to it.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #33
Mighty KC

Of those 3, JBL would be my choice. This picture was from the 80's and that gun is still used by my son.

KC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scan0002.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	199417  
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #34
AndrewK

Kc you dated yourself a little bit there with that dacor belt buckle
Old 12-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #35
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Quote:
Originally Posted by searun View Post
Will there be a line groove added on the right? I would prefer to have the gun ready for us weirdo right side loaders than have to put the Dremel to it.
Yes, it will have the groove.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #36
Tommy T

Is this thread officially hijacked? Good luck with whatever you choose. Great pic from the 80's KC! T
Tommy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #37
Mighty KC

JBL Was the gun of choice on the northern gulf back then. Probably still is. I was one of the few freedivers in the gulf back then. I was 22 in that picture, I am 52 now. My 18 yr old shot fish with that gun 3 weeks ago. It has killed more fish than a pogey boat.

KC
Old 12-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #38
Crissay53

So i decided the mako 90cm thanks for the help guys!
Crissay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #39
Snapper Mangler

Honestly all 3 are good starter gun companys. Me and my friend started spearfishing when we were 13. We had no money so we got two old offshore fishing rods out of the garage and stripped the guides off of them and drilled a hole in the bottom for a band and made our own polespears. Primitive but we killed fish and it teached us how to get close to the fish and read the fishes reactions. Later on I saved up some lunch money and bought a jbl super carbine for $70 brand new. I thought I was king with that gun. Then after a year or two I bought a biller 60 special. Killed a lot of fish with that gun. Now I've got custom wood guns, rob allens etc but I think you need to learn to crawl before you can walk
Snapper Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #40
Sevenanchors

48" Biller will get you through beginner into way advanced in the Ft. Lauderdale area. I have custom made guns, but always like to get back to basics for the little hoggies on our reefs. Don't get me "Wong", I like the custom guns very much, but for digging around in the caves and such for grouper where your gun WILL get scratched up a bit, the Biller is great. It also holds the record for my best shot (behind my head) and for the most poundage on one shot ( two 30lb blacks ).

JBL is a great gun, but a bit too noisy for me. Don't have much experience with the Mako. Rob Allen is a great gun as well as the Darryl Wong, perhaps the nicest looking of the bunch.

I have the 25# fish lift bags in stock for $60 ea. if anyone on this board is interested.
Sevenanchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #41
Soflospearo44

If you want a rail gun get a Mako. If you want a woody get a biller. I love both my makos
Soflospearo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #42
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

~~ Sevenanchors, why is the JBL too noisy for you?
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #43
hydroid

Too noisy?? Please do tell.
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #44
J.lata808

There are lot of good guns on the maket.
However, only the MAKO Spearguns AR15 (open track or enclosed track) spearguns, include all of the following features that I demand as an experienced spearo.
a) The MAKO Spearguns AR15 American has an all Stainless Steel Trigger mechanism designed by Tin Man. No plastic in this mechanism at all! Even the housing is stainless steel. Tested by Kitto to 1,750 lbs, it is stronger than any other railgun trigger mechanism on the market.
b) It also has a reverse trigger mechanism instead of a regular mech. This means you get more band stretch.
c) The MAKO AR15 American has a side lever line release instead of a pin style line release. Only with a side line release lever can you double wrap your mono with no problem. It can accept double wrap 400lb mono!
d) All MAKO guns include South African Sharkfin Tab Spears instead of notched spears. Sharkfin Tab spears are twice as strong as notched spears.
e) They also include an Open muzzle instead of closed muzzle. Open muzzles are much more popular than closed muzzles.
f) All MAKO barrels include an Integrated Aluminum Rail Barrel instead of a stick on rail or a piece of plastic to support the spear. The MAKO integrated rail barrel offers much more strength than plastic supports or stick on rails found on other guns. And, the integrated rails on all MAKO guns support the spear the whole length of the barrel as the spear exits the gun.
g) All MAKO guns include hand tied bands made from Primeline, instead of screw on bands. Hand tied Primeline bands are, by far, superior than screw on bands.
h) All MAKO spearguns include South African soft dyneema wishbones instead of metal wishbones. Metal wishbones break without warning and are dangerous. Soft Dyneema wishbones last a long time and are safe.
i) All MAKO Spearguns include a loading butt at no additional charge. Loading butts make loading much easier.
j) All MAKO Spearguns include a 3 year no questions asked warranty. If your gun falls out of your pickup truck while driving down the freeway, MAKO Spearguns will replace it or repair it at no charge to you.
Some guns may have some of these features, but only the MAKO AR15 American Spearguns have them all!
Also, the MAKO Spearguns AR15 American guns were designed by one of us, fellow Spearboard member, Tin Man from Louisiana. So, why not support one of our own?
Congratulations, Tin Man and Dano. Nice work.!!!!

Heres some fish i got on first day I used the new rail gun!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ONO N UKU.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	202267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fish Spread.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	202268  

Last edited by J.lata808; 03-04-2014 at 11:58 AM.
J.lata808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #45
Mighty KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroid View Post
Too noisy?? Please do tell.
I was wondering about that too. I spoke with Rob Allen at the blue wild, he was asked the question which gun was more quiet, his carbon or aluminum. He said that the pressure from the bands alerted the fish more than gun noise. I shoot fish with everything from a pole spear to a Co2 powered speargun, and noise has not been an issue. My favorite all time gun is my 130cm Rob Allen green handle.