Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2007, 11:37 PM   #121
Nathan Florian

Re: Interested In A Limited Goliath Grouper Harvest? Here's How We Get One.

Pretty high actually, I just hope we can take them legally in the near future and dont and dont have to count that high
Nathan Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #122
Carcharhinus

I posted about this a couple of years ago. My impression is that there are quite a few places that could benefit from some culling of the Jewfish population, but nowhere west of Port St. Joe yet (unless someone knows of some specific spot.)
C. leucas
Carcharhinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #123
brothertodd
"You Gotta Eat"

Memorial Day 07, I was on the White City Bridge off of Ceder Key, (about 60ft of water) there are always Goliath Grouper on this reef all times of year. This paticular day I was on the bottom a nice 32-36" AJ swam by, I landed a nice kill shot and he was stunned kind of floating tword the bottom and in a second 4 Goliath converge on my kill, they fought for it like a pack of wolfs and the biggest (probably 400 lb) fought off the others snatching my fish. The scary part was that as soon as I speared the AJ I droped my gun and was pulling the fish tword me, so I was with in 10 feet of it when the Goliath attacked. Once the Goliath chomped down on my fish with my spear still in it, It precedded to drag me across the ocean floor because I had wraped my line around my hand once. I was mad and afraid for my life all at the same time. A quick prayer was answered and the Goliath chomped down, pinched my spear out of the AJ and spit out my spear. I felt really lucky that I shot that AJ out in the Sand and not close to the wreck, That fish would have dragged me down into it's hole and I could have possibly lost my hand or died, I'm sure. I have a great respect for these fish and of all of God's creation, but I also believe that these creatures need a healthy respect for us humans as well. Its clear to me that they have no fear of divers. The more aggreassive ones will stalk divers and with experience I say; violently take your fish. I remember that the alligator ban was lifted after it was common place to see reports of "newsance alligators." FWC takes care of alligators when this top of the food chain preditor gets to comfortable with humans. So who can I call about the newsance Goliath Grouper on my favorite fishing spot. Sure they are a wonder to look at, but so are alligators. Those "individuals" who have become to aggressive and a danger to the public should be taken care of by FWC or Tag lottery system.
brothertodd is offline   Reply With Quote