Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 05-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #451
Les Sage

Re: Utah Visibility Overview (please contribute!)

FWIW, here is a report on Starvation a while back.

I dove at Starvation on May 4th near the campground by the dam. Saw lots of Smallmouth and few Walleye. I didn't have NP gloves, so my time in the water was limited to about an hour before my hands got too cold.

The Bass were shallow, but the few Walleye I saw were about 45 feet deep. I talked to a fisherman who said most of the Walleye were spawing and in the tributories and in the creeks still. The water temp was 49 degrees.

The next few days, I dove Lake Powell which was much warmer. The temps were in the low to mid 60s. I saw much more fish near the Halls Crossing area where I kayaked.

Cheers
Old 05-27-2015, 11:16 AM   #452
drbabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDreamOfVis View Post
I will probably be at starvation this weekend, if I see you I'll give you some spots. But in general, walleye like points with rocky structure, if you can find a point with a flat ledge on a steep drop off even better. This time of year it's a crap shoot what depth they may be in. With this cool weather my bet is shallow, but I have not been in starvation this year. Start very shallow and work out deeper. I've shot walleye in 10 feet this time of year and also 50 feet, hopefully someone else will chime in who's been out already
Thanks for the pointers! i have not done a lot of fresh water spearing so I really appreciate it. I have never been to starvation either. If I could ask one last favor, do you recommend I put in somewhere N, S, E or W? I dont plan on seeing much, but I have never even been to the lake- not sure where to even get in. =)
o
<*)))))))=<
drbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #453
Steeltalon

So the water is clear enough at Halls Crossing?
Steeltalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #454
Les Sage

drbabs,

At Starvation I was at the State Park near the twon of Duchesne. They have two separate areas to camp. The one near the boat ramp has full hookups, very nice restrooms and paved sites. The second area is primative with sand and pit toilets. There are plenty of good places to dive from the shore within the primative area. This park is located on the E part of the lake, close to the dam (which typically has the best vis).

Steel,

I had good vis at Halls Crossing - much better than I had at Bullfrog. I used a kayak which limited my traveling distances . Wind was an issue for me at Bullforg! So, I made the 160 mi trip from BF to HC. At HC, I paddled around to the left of the boat ramp into the large cove. The shoreline was solid rock and this area was protected from the wind. (It's a loong walk from the parking lot to the water, lol)

Lots of Stripers along the black rock wall. Vis on top was 10-15'. There was a noteable temp change at about 25 and clearer water below. I found the Walleye mostly in the 25-35 range.

All of the above info is now about 3 weeks old, (hence my FWIW comment)

Good luck guys.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #455
Shroomy

Quick question for everyone. I am finally going to get out this weekend but I haven't decided where. I am thinking Deer Creek or Starvation. Which lake will be warmer? Anyone have an idea what temps I'm looking at? It sounds like starvation has the better chance to get some fish but Deer creek has bigger Walleye if they are around and its much closer. Let me know what you guys think.
Shroomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #456
IDreamOfVis

Starvation will probably be a little warmer, but not by a whole lot. And I find the walleye in starvation are larger as an average in starvation than deer creek, the only trick is finding them this time of year.
IDreamOfVis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:59 PM   #457
FWFishSlayer

Went to deer creek again today, don't have a dive watch yet so can't give an exact temperature but my best guess would be 52-53. Shot a few carp at 25-35 ft. Saw a few smallmouths in the shallows so hopefully the walleye will start showing up soon.
FWFishSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:39 PM   #458
Steeltalon

fYI whenever you see fishing game on the water in a boat at Deer Creek, part of their procedure is to take the water temperature.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #459
Shroomy

I hit Deer Creek on Sunday afternoon. Vis was excellent, I could see bottom in 14 feet of water and it cleared up even more below 20-25 feet. Not many game fish around, saw a few decent small mouth but no walleye. I did find schools of carp over at carp cliff anywhere from 5-20 ft deep so I hope that means the walleye will be moving up soon. The water temp varied from spot to spot but I read 59-63 degrees. I think the temp on my boat is more accurate than my watch and that read 59-60. Wore a 2 pc 5mil suit and was perfect.
Shroomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:09 PM   #460
IDreamOfVis

Hit deer creek this morning, vis was a nice 10-15 ft. Water temp of 60 with a pretty brutal thermocline and murk layer sitting around 33 feet. Saw zero walleye in a spot I usually do very well at this time of year, dunno how this season is going to turn out. Similar story at starvation last weekend as well
Old 06-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #461
FWFishSlayer

got a report from a friend who was out on Deer creek this morning. Still 10-15ft visibility, temp 66. Lots of bass and carp around and saw one walleye.
FWFishSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:57 PM   #462
Steeltalon

Deer Creek two days ago. Saw 3 Walleye, shot 1 1.5 ibs. The two others were about the same size. Strange to see so few walleye.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #463
IDreamOfVis

Fish lake vis 10 to a hazy 30. Best vis I've ever seen there. Muskie are gone from Joe's bush, but I did find where there are a few more. Holy Lake trout heaven right now, saw somewhere around fifty in the 2-5 lbs range. Didn't really want any trout, but couldn't help taking a hail Mary shot on a 15+ pounder, missed of course temp varied quite a bit. 3 thermoclines down to 50 feet. Temp from 52-60 degrees depth depending
Old 06-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #464
drbabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDreamOfVis View Post
Fish lake vis 10 to a hazy 30. Best vis I've ever seen there. Muskie are gone from Joe's bush, but I did find where there are a few more. Holy Lake trout heaven right now, saw somewhere around fifty in the 2-5 lbs range. Didn't really want any trout, but couldn't help taking a hail Mary shot on a 15+ pounder, missed of course temp varied quite a bit. 3 thermoclines down to 50 feet. Temp from 52-60 degrees depth depending

Nice!
which side of the lake is best for shore entry for beginners? N,S,E,W?
o
<*)))))))=<
drbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #465
IDreamOfVis

Best spot for a shore entry for beginners would be Joe's Bush on the norther side of the lake just past the marina. It's a good place to snorkel around and see fish. Keep in mind fish lake is at 8800 feet above sea level and is harder, at least for me, to free dive. If you're going to chase Lake Trout you'll need a decent bottom time at depth, make sure you have someone spotting you on every dive. Dive safe and have fun