Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
SAINTrusher

Masks that are actually anti fog

Not a newbie by any means and I used a cressi mask for a few years that was pretty good at not fogging. Switched to the mako minimus and not to bash mako but the mask fogs super easy even with toothpaste/anti fog applications.

Haven't been able to dive for over a year due to a gnarly head injury/tbi but I'm getting ready to give it a shot again.

I'm willing to drop the money, has anyone landed on a mask that's actually anti fog?
SAINTrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #2
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

Re: Masks that are actually anti fog

Don't blame the mask,,,blame the fit.

Physics says Warm Moist air{breathe} hitting a cold surface {glass} results in moisture {fog}.

You basically have 2 solutions. Tighten the mask strap tighter so you can't leak air bubbles out of it underwater {warm moist air} or buy a different mask that seals to yourr face better than your current mask.

Shave closer and Lastly stop smiling underwater,,it breaks the seal and then it fogs
Old 03-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #3
jfjf

Have you tried burning the lense? MAKO has an instructional video on how to do it.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #4
Timinator

Try Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Just a tiny drop will prevent fogging. Cheap and easy to find most anywhere.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Polespearo
Waterman

I can recommend you the best non fogging mask that i have used for theist 3 years... But its the one you didn't like Mako minimum, I had to Burn the glass (flame to the glass inside wait till it gets cold, wash, dry and repeat) like 8 times, i just kept doing it until i could blow my breath (you know the hhhaaaaa) have it fog and defog in a second, if it fogged and stayed fogged i would do it again. then there was no need to do it again and just spit on it at the beginning of my dive day and maybe spit or wash with my tongue once mid day.

I was surprised about the number of times i had to do the lighter thing before i worked, but now i am happy.
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
SAINTrusher

Sweet thanks guys haven't heard of the burning technique. Gonna give that a try.
SAINTrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
ApneaAndrew
r------> <><

You just need to clean the mask - try the lighter method suggested above.

Regardless of how tight the mask is, there will be warm air coming out of your nose to equalize the mask on decent.
ApneaAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #8
Jason7654

Aren't these masks just uncoated glass? I'm not sure how fogging properties from one to another would differ.

I have the minimus. I was having issues till I tried "sea gold anti-fog gel" I got at a LDS. A little bit of that rubbed in each side, two rinses, and it's 100% clear for the whole dive. Really happy with it.
Jason7654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:49 AM   #9
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Quote:
Aren't these masks just uncoated glass?
During manufacture, silicone residue gets on the glass. That is what you are burning away with the "lighter trick". Once you get it back to clean, uncoated glass, you see a lot less trouble with fogging.

The idea of rubbing toothpaste on the lenses is to solve the same problem, but I think the lighter method is easier and better.

The next single biggest issue that causes fogging for me is breathing out of my nose when diving, as mentioned earlier in this thread. It's worst when I'm tired and I just exhale in spurts out of my nose on the way up. It almost always leaves me fogged up in cold water.
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #10
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

It sure would be nice if any or all of the manufacturers could come up with a process that delivers a product the user doesn't have to mess around with every time they purchase a new mask.

I don't know the manufacturing process, but it seems like applying a peel off film on the glass, or a wash off gel prior to bonding shouldn't be that hard to figure out. On the other hand, if none of them have done it, then it probably is harder than I think it is.

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #11
JohnAndrew
@spearingdestin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuuken View Post
During manufacture, silicone residue gets on the glass. That is what you are burning away with the "lighter trick". Once you get it back to clean, uncoated glass, you see a lot less trouble with fogging.

The idea of rubbing toothpaste on the lenses is to solve the same problem, but I think the lighter method is easier and better.
This w/baby shampoo = no fogging
JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
Xylophone

I've never had any issue with a mask fogging after toothpasting it before the first dive and spit every time right before I put it on to go in. As I understand it saliva is slightly alkaline which affects the surface tension of the moisture and prevents water droplets from forming on the glass. That or I could just be completely talking out of my ass.
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:13 PM   #13
Ocean

I use antifog every time I wash my mask with all other gear, and never have it fogged.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:12 AM   #14
FWFishSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylophone View Post
I've never had any issue with a mask fogging after toothpasting it before the first dive and spit every time right before I put it on to go in. As I understand it saliva is slightly alkaline which affects the surface tension of the moisture and prevents water droplets from forming on the glass. That or I could just be completely talking out of my ass.
That would explain why soap/shampoo have the same effect. Soap being alkaline.
FWFishSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #15
NC_Spearo

I have a couple MAKO masks and have had good luck. I burn, tooth paste and put in dish washer for a cycle. Each time I use, I clean with baby shampoo and no problems. GREAT mask - for me.
NC_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote