Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
BritneySpearfsh

Abacos Trip

Anyone on here willing to share some knowledge of spearing in the Abacos? I will be running my 23 ft Whaler over to West End on Aug. 4th, then continuing on and staying in Treasure Cay for the week. It will be our first time over there, and we plan to do as much spearing and lobstering as possible. We are pretty novice freedivers as we usually tank dive out of Canaveral, but can handle depths up to about 30ft.

I have read every page of the Dodge guide and every thread I can find online, but if anyone is willing to provide some specific guidance on the best areas for some rookies to find grouper, hogs, snapper, and bugs I would greatly appreciate it!

BritneySpearfsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:06 PM   #2
CatDiver

Re: Abacos Trip

We took our boat over for the first time last year. In hindsight, we should have paid a guide early in the week to show us where to go for diving and for trolling for pelagics. One of the best vacations ever but we caught very few fish. Beautiful structure and water but apparently it's a big ocean.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
BritneySpearfsh

Thanks.... exactly what my concerns are! There's a lot of water to cover and I know it takes a lot more than a week to figure an area out.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #4
qzone83

I would love to know any input anyone has, as I plan on doing this trip with the family next summer
qzone83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
Surface Tension

Hire a local guide.

Thank me later.

Pennies on the dollar on what you spent to be there, and it will be a giant leap up the learning curve.

Dave

Ps sorry just read catdivers post. Obviosly an endorsement of their advice.

Last edited by Surface Tension; 07-25-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Missed prior comment
Surface Tension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #6
BritneySpearfsh

Well that's two votes here + a PM suggesting getting a guide.

Anyone have a recommendation for a guide near Treasure Cay? I'm a bit wary of hiring the first local I find offering to take me out and show me "the spots".
Old 07-25-2018, 01:46 PM   #7
CatDiver

We were in Elbow and some locals we talked to felt like Elbow was more overfished than other areas. Green Turtle supposed was better and Spanish was better yet. But I would find a guide and hire them for the first day you are there. Who I don't know. But I also wouldn't get too wrapped up in only spearfishing. There's plenty to see and do and have a real nice relaxing vacation.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote