Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Memorials and Condolences for Diver Passings

Memorials and Condolences for Diver Passings This forum is intended for Rest in Peace Threads where we as a community offer condolences and memorialize those diver who have passed away. Safety, Accidents and Incidents discussion has a separate forum.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
knower

René Rojas - "El Maestro"

René Leonardo Rojas passed away yesterday in hospice at his home where he was being cared for by his family (Jackie, Salvador, and Orlando Rojas). He will be forever in our hearts and our minds as well as so many of those who he has touched through his younger days in school and university in Chile, as well as his work instructing Scuba, his days at Scubapro, his many years as a commercial fisherman for sea urchin, and last but certainly not least his life-long love of freediving and spearfishing which took him all over the world and into so many hearts.

He was a very loving father and husband who braved the high seas and sacrificed his body to provide for his family, was a selfless mentor to so many in the dive community, competed at the national and world levels in spearfishing, and was one of the most giving, kind, positive, and humble people many of us will ever know.

My father was an incredible storyteller and he absolutely loved photography. The family requests that in lieu of sending flowers that you share your pictures/video of René as well as the stories behind them or related to him. Please send them either via his e-mail to buzo@pacbell.net (ORIGINAL/LARGEST SIZE on pictures if possible) or mailed to 1569 W. Rene Dr. Anaheim, CA 92802. These are the best gifts we could possibly receive from all of you and we will be sure to share them for others to enjoy (unless otherwise desired). He called his "fotos" his "tesoros" (treasures) and we feel the same way.

Below is a link with only a few of the pictures taken of him that I've found. He has many pictures both developed and undeveloped he's taken over the years. A service will be planned but the date/time have not yet been determined. We will make another posting with more information when it is available.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...WRUM3VJT0RYM00

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Orlando-Pictures-of-Pictures-003.jpg
Views:	1808
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	225496  

Last edited by SpearMax; 04-14-2016 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Enlarge a joyful photo of Rene
knower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
North Star
Max

Re: René Rojas - "El Maestro"

I am so sorry for the loss of your father. May the peace of Christ be on you and all your family.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
Sheri
So Little Time

So sorry to hear this. Rene was a great diver, very humble, with a kind heart and sweet disposition. He was the kind that made the world a better place -- which makes his loss that much sadder.

Condolences to his family.
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
U/C Spearo
Formerly BNERAP

My condolences to your family. I had the opportunity to speak with Rene on a couple occasion at events, he was a special person. Thank you for sharing him with all of us !! RIP

U/C Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
Mattedhead
Matt Head

An absolute legend...one of the most caring, humble and talented divers I have ever had the pleasure of diving with. The community and sport have lost one of their best.
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Yes indeed.

Orlando, I enlarged a joyful photo of Rene' in your original post.

Your father was a superb human being who will be sorely missed.

My condolences to you and your family.

May Rene' rest in eternal peace.

Tony

Last edited by SpearMax; 04-14-2016 at 06:21 PM.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:43 AM   #7
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

So very sorry to hear this. He was a class act and a role model for how to do it all the right way. I always respected and thought highly of him. Condolences to his family and friends.

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #8
knower

Thanks guys.

I apologize for not posting this sooner as we have contacted a ton of people but I'm sure some people are still not aware. Please spread the word to anyone who may not be aware and would wish to attend:

Celebration of Life for
René Leonardo Rojas

July 10th from 4 to 8 PM
(3:30 PM music by Sajama)

King Harbor Yacht Club
280 Yacht Club Way
Redondo Beach, CA 90277

More info and RSVP:
http://www.evite.com/event/018A36CSN...KEPGFRJB75FS3Q
knower is offline   Reply With Quote