Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #1
Smesh

RA Threaded Shaft vs. Stainless shaft for Mori Slip-Tip

Any reasons not to use a RA threaded shaft with a mori slip tip? I'm about to install one on my RA 110 and have one on hold at Neptonics but with a bit of teflon tape I wonder if it will still seize on or not. Thoughts?
Smesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:07 PM   #2
schwaman

Re: RA Threaded Shaft vs. Stainless shaft for Mori Slip-Tip

I have that set up and like it, the threads will rust and make it difficult to remove the adapter after some time. If you dont mind that its fine.
Definitely stiffer than stainless shafts
schwaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
Castronova
The Conch Republic

You will be sorry if you forget to take that tip off or do t dive for a while. Major pain in the butt. I will never buy a South African threaded shaft again but that’s just me. Plus you’re using a slip-tip so bending the shaft should be nearly a non-issue.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #4
Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post
You will be sorry if you forget to take that tip off or do t dive for a while. Major pain in the butt. I will never buy a South African threaded shaft again but that’s just me. Plus you’re using a slip-tip so bending the shaft should be nearly a non-issue.
What he said. Remember that when two different metals are in contact, there will be electrolysys if they are uin a conductive media. That means the "weakest" one (ie: RA Carbon steel shaft) will rust. If you wrap the threads with teflon tape, you'll minimize the contact, but there still will be. I would use a SS shaft with a slip tip wether if I am a spring steel shaft lover.

When it seizes over time, you can heat it up in your kitchen stove. Should come loose.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:32 PM   #5
jfjf

I've had good luck with teflon tape and then grease over the tape - on the inside of the tip. If you are not gonna dive for 3-4 weeks, it is probably best to pop the slip tip off, but the grease and teflon tape do a pretty good job of separating the dis-similar metals.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #6
Marco

Then you also have the contact between the slider and the shaft. You should grease that too when not in use. I'll go with SS, but if you already have the shaft, use it until it rusts.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:42 AM   #7
spearq8

High carbon shafts are just not a good idea if you use threads ... at least not in my part of the world where temperatures are high and water salinity is double other oceans. Just get a good quality 17-4 PH SS shaft with rest tab (to connect line and make loading easier) and make sure you get a good fitting slip tip.

Shaft stiffness helps quite a bit in preventing shaft whip ... but I find that even the whippiest shaft can fly straight and stable if you have a properly designed speargun with correctly placed handle that is high in the CG of the gun. Some time back the only 6.75mm shaft that I could get to shoot without shaft whip was 140cm ... today I can get the same metal shaft to shoot super stable even at 165cm. With a slip tip the fit of the tip is also very important as if the tip moves even a little as you shoot ... that is like throwing a monkey wrench into an engine ... you won't be able to hit a basketball sized target at 5 meters as the shaft will vector all over the place. Mori slip tips are easily the best as the fit is exceptionally good.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote