Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:33 AM   #1
jfjf

Relaxing Family Day on Water? Nope.

Went out around noon for a short family outing. My son and wife did a shallower dive south of the inlet in mild current and then my son and I planned a wreck dive in 80.

We didn't expect a ripping current, probably the fastest I have seen on that shallow wreck. Son shoot a decent AJ as we approached the wreck, gets his butt kicked, he was so wrapped up his one arm was tied down, but we got it figured out pretty quick.

I had tried to encourage him to swim a few feet west to duck behind the wreck and seek shelter from the current, but he had his hands full with the fish. A good reminder about what a moderately sized fish can do when on 300 lb mono.

A really big jewfish was eyeing my catch bag on the wreck.

Later in the dive (while I am carrying 3 fish) a big HH shows more interest than I liked. Not the relaxing drift dive I was envisioning.

https://youtu.be/U7hXa5ktfrg

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SnapShot.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	245663  
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
Dbrown

Re: Relaxing Family Day on Water? Nope.

Dang, AJ scenario was not good. Glad you both were together there. Cool to see the Hammer, but better when they make a special guest star appearance and then leave.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
CatDiver

Nice job cleaning up that mess and good job by your son keeping his cool. It's tough to shoot AJ's without a line but I really hate shooting with a line. We noticed some big time tide swings over here too. That current was nuts.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:47 PM   #4
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDiver View Post
Nice job cleaning up that mess and good job by your son keeping his cool. It's tough to shoot AJ's without a line but I really hate shooting with a line. We noticed some big time tide swings over here too. That current was nuts.
Yeah my son is generally calmer than me. I've been wrapped up, tied to a wreck, then smacking my mask off and reg out of my mouth with the tail. Definitely gets your attention quickly.

I learned the hard way to try to keep the tail away from your face and preferably have the body tucked under your arm and the tail behind you.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:16 AM   #5
CuzzA

Thanks for sharing. Relaxing dive with Jim? If that were the case we wouldn't love your videos as much.

Arm chair quarterbacking... I'm thinking next time your son should put a free shaft into him before grabbing the green jack.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
jfjf

Thanks for the feedback. However, you might not be considering the strength of the current we are in. If you shoot a 1 lb snapper and it goes up current over sand, it might be impossible to swim/crawl even 10 ft into the current.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #7
A-Train

watched your video on youtube. thanks for posting. my uncle and his dive team have been training me since day 1 and AJ shooting they have ALEAYS told stories like you posted as well as the others here. really brings it into focus how fast something can go wrong with such a powerful fish. good thing he remained calm in a situation many may not have
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #8
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

They call them reef donkeys for a reason. I've had good success at riding them like a donkey. Just wrap your legs around them, before they become 'unstunned' and steer them. If near the bottom, you can steer them head first right into it...then they are swimming into the bottom whereby you can brain them.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote