Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 02-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
popgun pete

New Pelengas Carbon Tank multi form pneumatic gun

Displayed at the Moscow Dive Show held recently, the new Pelengas pneumatic gun with a carbon fiber hull as the pressure tank and gun body. Here the staff are having a bit of fun for the camera!

Sometimes its hard to concentrate on the guns!

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-09-2019 at 05:18 PM.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: New Pelengas Carbon Tank multi form pneumatic gun

Some photos of the Pelengas Carbon Pneumatic.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #3
popgun pete

For 488 bucks a 120 cm model is now available for purchase.
https://speargun.shop/speargun/pneum...20120%20carbon

PNEUMATIC VACUUM SPEARGUN PELENGAS CARBON 120 created for spearfishing in salt water on captured species of fish. As standard, a harpoon with a diameter of 7 mm (according to all tests with such a length of the harpoon is enough to shoot large fish at a long distance), this gun is balanced perfectly under a harpoon with a diameter of 7 mm and the pneumatic vacuum cuff is precisely for this diameter of the harpoon. If you want such a gun with a harpoon of 7.5 mm, tell us after paying for the goods, and we will modify the muzzle and replace the cuff suitable for the harpoon of 7.5 mm.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
popgun pete

View from on top, bright line is not a spear, looks like a reflection on an aiming stripe.

In the very early days pneumatic spearguns carried an aiming stripe on the side of the gun, similar to this one on my old "Sten".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original Mares Sten R.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	244128   Click image for larger version

Name:	muzzles R.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	244129  

Last edited by popgun pete; 09-30-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:07 PM   #5
popgun pete

The new removable muzzle tip for periodic replacement of the gun's vacuum cuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New muzzle end cap.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	244130   Click image for larger version

Name:	New muzzle.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	244131  
Old 09-30-2019, 08:18 PM   #6
floatingbeatle

Nice looking bit of kit. I wonder how the gun would go with having a carbon fibre hull, particularly, the pressure tank. Ive read where carbon fibre is always under pressure, and there have been incidences of carbon fibre bike frames exploding whilst people were riding them. Whats your take on this, Pete?
floatingbeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:41 PM   #7
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingbeatle View Post
Nice looking bit of kit. I wonder how the gun would go with having a carbon fibre hull, particularly, the pressure tank. Ive read where carbon fibre is always under pressure, and there have been incidences of carbon fibre bike frames exploding whilst people were riding them. Whats your take on this, Pete?
I had someone comment on this from the Ukraine when the gun was first on the drawing board that the hull pressure may be limited, but not so much that it could not go to 30 bar. A pneumatic gun in alloy can go past 40 bar without blowing to pieces, in fact it can go further than that, but you would never load it without some mechanical advantage gadget. The operating manuals say do not exceed 30 bar as they want to stay on the safe side with modern pneumatic guns mainly because they use plastic pistons and anvils in the muzzle. This carbon gun has an 11.99 mm barrel, so 25 bar would be enough for most purposes. Making it out of carbon fiber it may be heavier but neutrally buoyant due to its fat bulbous body in strategic locations.

If I was buying one then I would go for the 7.5 mm shaft in order to exploit the mass advantage of the gun. Same as an Urukay vs a Graphite the extra mass of the former is for shooting heavier shafts.

Once we get a look at the pumping table in the manual supplied with the gun then we will know more.

Last edited by popgun pete; 10-02-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:55 PM   #8
popgun pete

Sent a query to the shop: Максимальнодопустимое операционное давление ружья Carbon Pelengas?/Maximum permissible operating pressure of Carbon Pelengas speargun?
Old 10-01-2019, 02:08 AM   #9
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingbeatle View Post
That sounds weird to me. Bike frames are laminated under fairly high pressure and compaction but there is no pressure inside a finished frame. If the laminate is well designed, there shouldn't really be much internal stress, either. But CF can fail in rather abrupt ways, but that is normally because of a crash where the frame lands on something hard or from a bad layup or bad design so it fails on a high stress point on the frame.

As for CF in airguns, I have had cheap "Chinesium CF" straight tubes made for about five guns of mine by now. No fancy shape like the Pelengas and the widest part is still smaller than on the Pelenges so lesser forces on my tubes. They have all been fine and if Pelengas don't mess up their design or lamination, theirs should be, too.

The main difference between building spearguns and bikes in CF is that the latter are made to be as light as possible. As far as I know, in many areas of a CF bike, the wall thickness is often below 1mm. There is also a huge emphasis on optimizing the laminate in terms of fiber direction - which again can save weight but can also make the laminate fail when a sudden force hits from an angle the laminate was not supposed to handle. E.g. a rock or curb hitting the chainstays sideways in a crash.
But on a speargun, you don't need super light weight, so you can easily bump up the wall thickness substantially. Actually, to the point where you don't even have to use very advanced composite techniques.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:21 AM   #10
popgun pete

Just received an answer to my query and the maximum operating pressure is 40 atmospheres for this Carbon Pelengas 120 cm gun. (40 атмосфер)

They would have hydrotested a gun to find out its limits before putting them on sale. An 11.99 mm inner barrel gun will be hard to load at that pressure, but is more doable than 13 mm as I have tried with a double handle loader and standing on the bottom.

Last edited by popgun pete; 10-02-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:59 PM   #11
Marco

Interesting thread. Thanks!

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:19 PM   #12
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Does that pump serve to pre-load the pressure for the user's desired strength?
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:04 PM   #13
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Does that pump serve to pre-load the pressure for the user's desired strength?
Yes, like all pneumatic guns you use a hand pump to pre-pressurize the tank to create the spring action that will drive the piston and the spear. By varying the start pressure the power of the gun can be varied, but at maximum start pressure you need to strong enough to load it, so it is always best to work your way up in pressures as you get your loading technique down pat. The extension loader that comes with the gun helps you drag the spear into the gun when the gun is a long one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0233-800x800.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	244138   Click image for larger version

Name:	hand pump.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	244139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelengas extension loader.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	244140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelengas metal loader.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	244141  
Old 11-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #14
popgun pete

Here is a video giving a demonstration of the new gun. When cocked to shoot the gun floats at a shallow angle with the butt handle in the air. However in this video the gun has no line on it, so it is a bit lighter than it would be if it had a full spool of line. The attached reel is the Trophy 2019 reel, a larger version of a similar reel released earlier in the year of which I have an example for my Pelengas "Z-linka".
https://youtu.be/s2d9XUquY0I
The video demonstrates the gun being muzzle loaded with the extension loader (two handles connected by cord reinforced bands) and being placed in the water for a couple of shots. All action is filmed topside as we don't see a hunting situation. This is a long gun for the Ukraine and Russia, most of their spearfishing is conducted with shorter weapons in rivers and lakes with the larger fish being Carp and Catfish, some of the latter being enormous.

The Pelengas Carbon 120 is for taking on larger saltwater specimens and should be more than adequate for this task.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pelengas Carbon pneumovacuum gun.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	244411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelengas Carbon pneumovacuum gun 2.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	244412  

Last edited by popgun pete; 11-09-2019 at 05:06 PM. Reason: extra comment