Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Old 04-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
Spearsurf

First Dive Boat!

Hey Gang,

Hope you all are doing great and ready for an amazing summer! I am very excited to announce that I am finally ready to pull the trigger on one of my lifelong dreams and buy a boat! Not just a Craigslist beater boat or an inflatable...I'm talking about a REAL boat. A boat worthy of going on countless voyages to sea and making it back to tell stories of adventure and FISH!

I've been saving up for the last 5 years to make this happen. That being said, I am still going to have to find a used boat. A NICE used boat. While I can't afford a new boat, I can certainly entertain a boat that has been meticulously cared for and that is in AMAZING mechanical condition. I am not a boat mechanic, nor do I want to end up one by default. I am looking for something seaworthy and "turn key" and ready to rock! A few boxes I want to check off are: 1.) must have a small cabin that sleeps 2-3 people. 2.) Good on gas! 3.) Dialed in for diving/spearfishing 3.) Solid working computers/GPS 4.) At least 18 Feet.

My favorite boats are: RADON, PARKER & BOSTON WHALER

Attached are some photos of the type of boat, look and style I am going for.

I live in the Monterey Bay, California. Please reach out to me if you have a boat you feel fits the bill of what I am looking for. Please do not send me any boats that "need work" or "have a few issues". Again, only looking for something solid, safe and turn key. This will be my first boat and I just had a son, so I can't screw around with an unsafe boat that breaks down out at sea.

I am a SERIOUS buyer for the right boat and rest assured, whoever I buy from I can promise you your boat will live an amazing life with me and I will treat it with the upmost respect and take pride in every aspect of owning and maintaining it.

I look forward to hearing from you!!

Many thanks and happy diving!

RT
Spearsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Castor

Re: First Dive Boat!

My experience has been that no one can guarantee you that a boat wont break down. I had a Chris Craft that I completely dialed, super dependable. When I was selling it and doing the demo run, the guy I was showing it to looked at me while we were going wide open and said "You weren't kidding, this thing runs great!!!" Just then, "BOOM, Rattle, rattle.." I blew up my lower unit. I fixed it and the guy bought my boat.

Good luck.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #3
YoungMarine

Re: First Dive Boat!

Congrats and good luck on your search!

Just wanted to add on to what Castor was getting at....boat problems come about unexpectedly, even well maintained boats. My friend bought a brand new boat and it had a battery die before he got it in the water. While you cannot always predict them, you can be prepared when they inevitably arise. Remember boat stands for bust out another thousand so keep a savings account dedicated to yearly repairs and purchase a repair manual so that you can learn to do some of the preventative maintenance and repair work yourself and it also may come in handy when you get stranded on the water (keep a tow rope on board). While none of us set out to be boat mechanics you will learn how to fix a lot of problems and do a lot of repairs over the years of ownership out of necessity. I don't want to deter you from boat ownership, because they are great fun, but just want you to be prepared to handle issues that may come up with even the best maintained boat.
YoungMarine is offline   Reply With Quote