Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
zenspearo

Re: First Trip To Mexico

Rent an Iridium satellite phone. They are under $75 for the week plus any air time. When you are in the middle of nowhere, they are worth their weight in gold.

Please generalize the LOCATION/TIME of your spearing reports.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #17
bajahunter
MANIAC OF THE WEEK

[quote=Seaholic]Dude why and how am I always in the middle of things.
QUOTE]

That way you get pleasure both ways....

Now this is serious, the only repellent that works against Jejenes (noseums) in Baja and this are the worst biters of all, that sting will last a long time, is avons skinsosoft repellent it even comes as a sunscreen repellent mix.
Don't forget your Mexican fishing license, yes, they are checking them now and your passport to get back in the US.
You're a reef hunter so bring a file to keep those shafts sharp, and a stone for your knifes.
Never leave stuff unattended in the back of your truck.
Don't forget to stop at Adelitas, they have a very nice dive shop.
What part or Mexico are you going to??

"LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY"
bajahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #18
JDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajahunter View Post
Now this is serious, the only repellent that works against Jejenes (noseums) in Baja and this are the worst biters of all, that sting will last a long time, is avons skinsosoft repellent it even comes as a sunscreen repellent mix.
I heard about this before and I bought some from the "Avon Lady" for a backpacking trip I did through South America. She thought that I was nuts, this was 12 years ago.

Here is what BajaHunter is referring to: LINK

Here is what people used before the repellent brand came out: LINK
JDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #19
turtle714
IDGAF

[quote=bajahunter;1484800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaholic
Dude why and how am I always in the middle of things.
QUOTE]

That way you get pleasure both ways....

Don't forget your Mexican fishing license, yes, they are checking them now and your passport to get back in the US.
You're a reef hunter so bring a file to keep those shafts sharp, and a stone for your knifes.
Never leave stuff unattended in the back of your truck.
What part or Mexico are you going to??
Are the Jejenes the real tiny, almost microscopic ones? I got bit to hell last time I was down in Bola. Things were a pain in the ass.
turtle714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #20
fishmustdie
Power's on!

this thread made me laugh.

Dr. Craig Petersen D.C.
fishmustdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #21
dmay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajahunter View Post

You'll need to wear your snorkel if you shop here.
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #22
freeride
Joe

I'm guessing you are going to the Sea of Cortez? Saying prepare for Mexico in general is no different than saying prepare for the United states. You could be going to Michigan in February or South Florida in July
Old 07-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #23
Randy J.

The further away you get from "Town" the smaller your Peso's need to be, Before you head out make sure you have alot of smaller Peso bills
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #24
Grumblefish
grumbling ghost fishes

If you're depending on locals for boat rides, or if you have any mechanical issues that require the services of locals, the best thing you can bring is patience. If the panguero says 7AM, be there at that time but there's a good chance he will show up later than that. Mexico time is real, and its slower than you can imagine. I once had a guy take my truck into town at 9AM for very minor repairs, saying he would be back around 3-4 o'clock with it. He showed up the next morning at 11. We had to stay the night on a porch with 3 $20 borrowed sleeping bags in 30 knot winds - all our stuff was in the cabover camper on the back of my truck, all the way back in town. Miserable night of no sleep, but a great story to tell. I didn't even ask the guy where the heck he'd been the afternoon before when he showed up the next morning - I just kicked myself for not taking out our sleeping gear on the better-than-average chance he wouldn't be back till the next day. Great work done, though, and amazingly cheap.

Also, don't drink the water, that's what beer is for. Wear the same boardshorts every time you clean fish, otherwise all your shorts will smell like a fillet table, instead of just one pair.

And write a report when you get back....
Old 07-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #25
Freedro
lost gringo

Tanc, the most important thing you can bring to Mexico, especially Baja is a very flexible mindset. Weather and conditions can change rapidly, especially between now and October when the Chubascos roll through. Bring a map and be prepared to completely shift directions, areas, coasts, seas if need be. If you should become delayed by some mechanical problem or unforeseen weather, use the time embracing the opportunity to get to know the local landscape and people, and you will find that you will be forever rewarded by the unexpected.