Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

Arrow Texas Spearo's Bible

who would be interested in a Magazine that had all the Texas spearfishing rules and regs, plus a photo id for all legal fish that could be speared in Texas legally. plus, size and bag limits. also a check list for your gear. a place to log your best fish, a map to mark your favorite spots, a few knots to help a fisherman out.

looking at a one time purchase of a full color rules and regs + fish id. a list of all legal fish to spear in Texas.

https://youtu.be/Dkqo-KWsjfQ
matthew7stall(at)gmail(dot)com
LIMITLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
texasbeachbum

Re: Texas Spearo's Bible

I would. That would be awesome.
texasbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
MichaelBaranows
RFA member

The reason nothing like that happens is because spearfishing is such a small group in Texas. Plus no one really knows the laws. And most people in Texas dont spearfishing in state waters. In state waters you can kill any fish that isn't a game fish and the TWPD annual has a list of all gamefish in Texas.

Rather than offer up an idea for someone else to make money you should just make up a book and try to sell it.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

I have made the book, it is at tpw being reviwed, when i get it back it will be available online digital coppies, and actual books....

Old 02-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
MichaelBaranows
RFA member

What is funny is that even most people at the TPWD doesnt even know the law when it comes to spearfishing.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

I found a guy he's the distric mgr over multiple couastline counties, and he was pretty good about answering my original q's. He knows his stuff...

Old 02-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Powers
Dad

Great idea.

I'd buy one.
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

Arrow Re: Texas Spearo's Bible

NOW FOR SALE !!!!!!

CLICK HERE TO BUY!!!

A QUICK GUIDE TO KEEP WITH YOU ON THE BOAT, OR ON THE SHORE. DIGITAL COPIES AVAILABLE, PUT IT ON YOUR PHONE! PERFECT FOR NOOBS AND EXPERIENCED ALIKE.... COLOR PICTURES OF THE LEGAL FISH YOU CAN HARVEST IN THE STATE OF TEXAS. BAG LIMITS, SIZE LIMITS AND MORE!

Old 02-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
tako1972

great idea. gonna get mine for sure. thank you.
tako1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

Just offering a service.... Hope it helps....

Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
wlkconsulting

Send a message via Skype™ to wlkconsulting

Getting one too..Way to go on that..being the only guy in Texas to do it, you could gobble up sponsors for relevant ad space on the 2013 edition...$$$
wlkconsulting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

Considering it, but i want to see how it goes on the 2012 first. Thanks for the support guys!

Old 02-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
MichaelBaranows
RFA member

I got a copy just to check it out but it really doesn't give any informations that isn't already pupblished in the TPWD handbook. Which is given to everyone when they get their fishing/hunting license. The images of the fish are nice. But probably a better idea to break up the fresh and saltwater fish.

Since it is only state waters I don't think you are going to shoot many Blue Tuna. And why not show more fish.

Just a few ideas I had. Most people I spearfish with only do so from boats offshore and most of the time in federal waters.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

Michael,
thank you for taking the time to look at it.

Thats good for most people you dive with, but for the ones you dont dive with, there is an article that compiles a vast majority of what they need to know in one place.

What other fish would you like to see?

Blue tuna have been seen, and caught inside state waters, that is why it was included.

As this is texas state water configuration, its more directed to those that dont have access to a boat to go off shore and still want to shoot fish.

i greatly appreciate the input.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #15
wlkconsulting

Send a message via Skype™ to wlkconsulting

Has potential. You can make this a great handy booklet for vets and newbies. I agree to separate the fresh water from salt fish. Also add all separable fish inshore/ offshore. Add crabs, lobster... .Emergency radio channels for newbies, updated year relevant common rig coordinates, wreaks and reefs with a mini map of locations. Separable shore dive locations and conditions, Updated Buoy locations. More seaman knots.. Basic first aid due to common spero injuries, cpr procedures, most dangerous marine life i.d. shark types, eels, using power heads, using the right tip for the type of hunting you’re doing, use of float lines etc. i.d. types of jellies etc, a dive table if it will fit, Yearly update of speared fish records (who, what, when, where ), fish cleaning, skinning tips, kill shot and lat line diagram, cover freedive and scuba give basic safety tips, also tips to avoid black out add gigging maybe? Basic do’s and don’ts of spearing and boat etiquette…do an essential numbers to know and web site directory like NOAA etc., include Morse code, flag i.d, reading clouds, determining current speed… Color code the sections with either a border around the page or make all fonts same color.
I’m sure I missed some stuff. I’d get all the hand books that are known to be the best, pull out what you need, combine all the spear relevant info for the bible. Some of what I said Is common knowledge, but this is a bible.
No offense to you and you buddies but Id change the cover. Perhaps do a different illustration for each year. A drawing similar to that old Hell Diver Rodeo logo with Neptune spearing fish. Something classic and artsy.. Or actual photo of a current Record holder, holding some huge fish while still in the water…Look at what similar booklets have done successfully for years and (take notes)…Considering newbies are going to pick up your booklet I’d go all out. I’ve seen other booklets have a similar format of info and was packed with sponsors. Apparently this is what the money guys like.
I’m sure you know your profit margins are still low even if every spero bought a book. Sponsors dude$$$...sponsors also want to see your distribution (coastal corner stores, dive shops, bait shops, sporting good stores etc). Also helps to compile a mailing list of subscribers for units being mailed out and direct purchases. Realistically, you may have to give books away for free to your primary distribution. Your distribution will in turn give it away for free. ie: remember those baskets of directories you see next to the door or check out counter? If you can hold out and build up your sponsors, it will all pay for itself and then some . I see this all the time in many local resource guides and directories. Same game different subject matter. I do realize this is your trial run. Your Beta testing. Everything I’ve said was in the spirit of being helpful. I hope I confirmed much of what you already considered.
wlkconsulting is offline   Reply With Quote