Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #31
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Re: Upcoming fight over spearing Permit...again

Hey guys, I am driving back to Tallahassee right now, but pulled over to respond.

I had two cameras rolling and may have to look at the footage to confirm this.

1.) Yes - a guy brought up making cobia a part of this designation to which co-chair Barco stated that was exactly the sort of "listing" approach she wanted to avoid.

2.) The two ladies on the commission talked the most sense to my ears asking is this really needed? Will it just be listing without regard to science? Can we KISS this by just giving these fish recognition and not do any managing of them?

3.) Unfortunately there was an oversite in that copies of the detailed rule were not in the handouts so no one in the audience could follow along with what clauses the commissioners were tinkering with in their discussion.

4.) Being there in person does indeed makes a difference in my opinion. Denny and I and another diver tag teamed a bit and hearing from at least three diver/spearos seemed to help a lot.

5.) The guys that want this were there in numbers and this is obviously a pet project of the chairman who considers it a legacy for this commission as he admitted it publically.

6.) The chairman and several other speakers including CCA seemed willing to exclude the spearing Permit in Federal waters issue in my opinion. But the bigger flaw of the idea as was proposed is what needs to be addressed next unless it is just a designation with no management teeth as one commissioner suggested.

7.) I think there is a lot more work to do. For example, several speakers who were not divers spoke against the overall concept. We should contact them and explore those apparent alignments of interests.

My 2 cents, Tony
SpearMax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #32
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

Thanks Tony.

I would think a lot of offshore fisherman not in the Keys would still like to be able to keep/eat Permit also.

C
Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #33
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Good work.

I am drafting another letter to the commission and the governor. I will post it when I finish
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #34
Summerland Key

This is an example of the type of rules that I think need to be reviewed in regards to spearfishing. Presently, if a species of fish is given sportfish or gamefish status spearfishing is automatically precluded as a gear type since hook and line is defined as the allowable gear type--everything else is prohibited.
Summerland Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #35
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Smile Re: Upcoming fight over spearing Permit...again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerland Key View Post
This is an example of the type of rules that I think need to be reviewed in regards to spearfishing. Presently, if a species of fish is given sportfish or gamefish status spearfishing is automatically precluded as a gear type since hook and line is defined as the allowable gear type--everything else is prohibited.
Hi Don,

This new gamefish/sportfish designation is a huge issue that must be stopped or at least neutralized by making it "ceremonial" only with no effect on fishery regulations. I spoke with members of our local Palm Beach Freedivers club at their xmas party over the weekend and they are ready to help as are many spearboard members. We must intelligently rally the troops before the next FWC meeting.

Having been there at the Apalachicola FWC meeting and observing the statements publically and privately, I personally believe that the future of spearfishing many species with arbitrary political special interest fish "listing" may be at stake here if the Chairman's creed of "Follow the Science" is circumvented.

I went to a client board meeting in New York City after the FWC meeting for the remainder of last week. This week, I will next review all the footage I shot from two cameras to see if there are some clues as to what was really going on with the CCA/BTT type special interest groups that were there testifying in public comment. There were some strange things said that deserve further scrutiny in my opinion.

Thanks for your input.

Tony

Last edited by SpearMax; 12-09-2012 at 11:21 PM.
SpearMax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #36
FishRulesApp
in the App Store

Don, that is a well-written letter. Nice.

Keep in mind that spearfishing for permit is only allowed in Federal waters, so it seems like a reasonable balance to continue to allow spearing of permit given how tightly they are regulated.
FishRulesApp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #37
Summerland Key

The permit rule, as it stands now, is a good compromise. I no longer have concerns about the possibility of unlimited harvest on the spawning aggregations offshore, and the flats fishermen do not have to worry about someone spearing permit on the flats (all in Florida waters). Still, I think the commercial sale and the permit bycatch in the pompano netting fishery will be a concern to some folks.

Again, this issue brings up another problem that should be resolved, and that is the definition of spearing. Presently, spearfishing is lumped together with bow fishing, gigging and any device used to capture a fish by piercing its body. So, if there is a potential problem with bow fishing or gigging--spearfishing gets banned also. While I think it would be extremely difficult to get in the water on the flats and spear a permit with a speargun it would not be as difficult to take one with a bow--and spearfishing is included in the definition of spearing along with bow fishing. This is why we can not spear fish for triple tail--because some were gigging them around buoys in the gulf and it was considered un sporty. So, spearfishing for triple tail got banned under the no spearing for triple tail rule.
The definition of spearfishing should be changed, or at least moved into a sperate catagory--I think a state wide work group tasked with reviewing all spearing/spearfishing rules could resolve this and other issues.

Don
Summerland Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #38
TheMackDaddy
The who's who of hoos

Heres what I wrote to them:

Spearfishing should NOT be restricted as allowable gear for permit harvest. Spearfishing permit is actually more difficult than harvesting through hook and line and account for a very small number of captures compared to hook and line (both kept fish and fish killed during/or resulting from the catching process). A dead permit is a dead permit, and restricting a MORE SPORTING method of harvest is totally unconstitutional.

Sincerely,
Peter Diez, Ph.D.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote