Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #121
Summerland Key

Re: The SEDAR 37 Hogfish Assessment Thread 2014

Ryan Y

I agree, you have to travel fairly far offshore to find hogfish in your area, but that is how it has always been, and that does not indicate a problem. You are not having to travel any further, and dive any deeper to find the same size and number of hogfish, like us in the Keys.
Summerland Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #122
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
OK,guys show me a stringer from anyone anywhere in the Keys that looks like one of my stringers thats less than 10 years old,20 years old...Bueller...anyone?

The size has declined down there,anyone got any total catch numbers commercially down there?I'd like to see just how many are landed down there since there are so many.
I shot 53 hogs (two stringers) in 15-20ft on one drift dive this summer. All 16-24 inches and passed up countless smaller ones. That was one of the seven drifts I had planned, but after that I figured I did enough damage. If quantity isn't what you're talking about I had a dive at the end of the bar in 90 ft and had 10 hogs all over 5 Pounds.

I agree that the size average size has gotten smaller, but to be honest I don't think that Hogs can get as big in the Keys as they do up north (whether it be water temp affecting metabolism and growth, migration, or countless other factors).
Obviously the keys are hit harder than most areas because of the easy access factor putting pressure on inshore fishing.That being said I agree with the many that think the keys should be managed separately, and that the size limit should be raised. However, even with the raised limits I wouldn't expect to see MG sized hogs, just more nice sized ones, which is obviously a good thing. Sorry for reviving a dead thread.

Last edited by kwyoungspear; 03-24-2014 at 01:36 AM.
kwyoungspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #123
Summerland Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by I agree that the size [B
average[/b] size has gotten smaller, but to be honest I don't think that Hogs can get as big in the Keys as they do up north (whether it be water temp affecting metabolism and growth, migration, or countless other factors).
Obviously the keys are hit harder than most areas because of the easy access factor putting pressure on inshore fishing.That being said I agree with the many that think the keys should be managed separately, and that the size limit should be raised. However, even with the raised limits I wouldn't expect to see MG sized hogs, just more nice sized ones, which is obviously a good thing. Sorry for reviving a dead thread.

You are probably right that the average size of hogfish will never be as big in the Keys as it is in places north of us, like the MG and off Northeast Florida. The average size of black grouper in the Keys was probably never as big as the average size off Jacksonville either. They don't get as many black grouper up that way, but the average size is certinly much bigger.

I think it is the 12 inch size limit on hogfish that most reasonable people see as too small and should be changed. I wonder if there is anyone on this board (besides jfjf) that would argue against raising the minimum size limit to 14 inches for hogfish?
Summerland Key is offline   Reply With Quote