Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #1
Zpearo

Putty or other ways to customize grip shape?

I've seen some reports of people using special putty to build a special grip on their gun handle that is exactly built for their hand. You basically put the putty in place, squeeze it with your dive gloves on to mold it to shape, and then let it cure. Does anyone know what type of putty this is, or have another suggestion for an easy way to do a custom grip like this?
Zpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
phil herranen

Re: Putty or other ways to customize grip shape?

Shape lock

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
Renejr83
Freediving is Life!!

Zpearo, I'm working on doing the same to one of my guns. I have tried the shape lock also know as Instamorph but the stuff can be a royal pain in the ass. The working time on is just a few minutes, then you have to reheat it to 150 degrees F (turns to goop if overheated)so you need a temp gauge. It also tends to crack, something you dont want especially on a speargun handle. There are a couple of guys here that have made it work. You should stay with an EPOXY putty like JB WELD. Loctite also makes one. The drawback is if you need large amounts it can be a little more expensive as its sold in just 2oz tubes, usually. Once cured though, its rock solid! You can sand it, drill it, tap it, etc. There is another product called APOXIE Sculpt. It has a working time of about 45mins, cures in 24hrs and you can sand, drill, tap, paint, etc. A 1 pound tube costs about $18. I just ordered it through amazon. Hope this info helps. I'll post some pics when I get the Apoixe and re-make my handle.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Renejr83; 08-07-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Renejr83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #4
Ren

This method looks interesting.

Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:57 PM   #5
Renejr83
Freediving is Life!!

I will be recieving this stuff tomorrow. I will post how it comes out as I will be remaking my custom handle.

Here's the handle

Old 08-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
Zpearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renejr83 View Post
I will be recieving this stuff tomorrow. I will post how it comes out as I will be remaking my custom handle.
Awesome, looking forward to seeing the result!
Old 08-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
Renejr83
Freediving is Life!!

Here's what I'm doing to a Denton replica.

This is a picture of my handle with a picture of the original grip over it to help me make the handle shape. I used the Pics Art app.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:02 PM   #8
Renejr83
Freediving is Life!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zpearo View Post
Awesome, looking forward to seeing the result!
Ok so here's the compound. This stuff is amazing! Got it from amazon, 15 colors available, got mines in red. Ordered the 1lb tub for $18 or so. Enough for 2 handle mods.

Medical exam gloves recommended but not necessary. Working life about 2hrs, rock hard in 8hrs, full cure 24hrs. Full set of directions and ways to use it come on the tubs. Works just like clay, makes you feel like a toddler lol.

I filled in the spine with some aluminum foil nice and compact, then began adding compound in small amounts.

It cures in a semi gloss finish. I took a dremel with a sanding head to wedge out the ring and pinky grooves a little more.

For the finishing touch I highly recommend adding texture using this polyurethane adhesive sealant. Applying it with a gloved hand just as in the video that was posted. Doing this makes a night/ day difference in grip. Can't wait to put this in the water, most comfortable grip I've handled. My other gun is a carbon railgun with a pathos D'angelo 1 that will be getting the same treatment. Hope this was helpful. This compound does have aome weight to it, be prepared to possibly having to rebalance after mod is finished.

Finished handle

Old 08-13-2016, 04:18 AM   #9
spearq8

Great job! I will try and post a video soon on how I do my handles. The easy way is to just use plasti morph ... but for very powerful setups on very light guns ... the best way is to use epoxy putty and have it covered with CF. The shape of the handle is EXTREMELY ... and again EXTREMELY important. It has to channel recoil into the palm and not into the thumb. For very light guns it is actually almost impossible to keep hold of the gun after the shot ... and with high mass guns it is impossible to keep the gun from "shifting" right or left (depending if you are a right hand or left hand shooter) once you put big power on the gun.

I have experimented with a few putties, but most have been quite heavy. Weight is really not a big problem if it is added on the handle and if that weight was added on say the muzzle ... the ballasting of the gun would become a problem. But still, I would like to try out a super lightweight putty as strength is not a problem since I carbon fiber wrap the handle after the putty. I have seen these two products that I would like to try out but have had problems shipping them in . Anyone try any of these products?

One thing I can tell you is that handles are the new game changer when it comes to spearguns. It dramatically changes the equation allowing blue water power and performance on super lightweight guns while still keeping pin point accuracy. Every speargun handle that is being sold today is not designed properly and can be improved.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Molding-epo...ht+epoxy+putty

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SmoothOn-Li.../dp/B00ATEO79W
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:38 AM   #10
Dr.P

We're all anxiously awaiting the handle video!
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:10 PM   #11
Ren

Nice job! I have been wondering what the coating was on the bleutec gun handles ever since I felt them in shop, and the YouTube video trygons posted helped me solve the mystery.
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:25 AM   #12
e.m.p!

There's a latex putty caled Sugru I used on aloading butt of an old gun. Worked a treat and didn't come off after lots of abuse. This stuff is really worth looking into.
https://sugru.com
e.m.p! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #13
AlexbeeintheUK

Shapelock (or Polymorph as they call it in Europe) is a great product and would highly recommend it. Here is a youtube video of how to use the polymorph stuff and when it cools it is solid - it can also be reheated and used over and over again as well as easily colored.
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:15 PM   #14
Zpearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexbeeintheUK View Post
Shapelock (or Polymorph as they call it in Europe) is a great product and would highly recommend it. Here is a youtube video of how to use the polymorph stuff and when it cools it is solid - it can also be reheated and used over and over again as well as easily colored.
I ordered some of the Apoxie Sculpt, and now kind of wish I had tried this Shapelock instead. I am wondering if the heat of laying in the sun on a hot boat would soften this too much though... any experience with that?
Old 08-30-2016, 05:29 PM   #15
Renejr83
Freediving is Life!!

Trust me, apoxie is 100x better. I have tried both. Shapelock is a pain to work with. It sticks once melted, working time is minimal, having to constantly reheat it. It cracks and has very little stucture integrity. Apoxie turns rock solid once cured. Working life is 2hrs, hardens in 8hrs, full cure in 24hrs. You can sand it, curve it, you can even TAP it! You won't be disappointed. Apoxie is available in 15 colors. If you're using it for a handle, you want something that is bomb proof.