Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
pierreyaldo

Bubblers in the Agua Hedionda Lagoon?

So I mosey up to the Lagoon for a relaxing morning, armed with only a pole and some squid, trying to stop myself from going insane as I cannot dive till my gun is shipped back to me... might as well pretend I'm catching fish right?

and what do I see? A few scuba divers with guns and bags and all, getting out of the water, west of the freeway, so right by the power plant

I was under the impression that this was illegal... right?

If it is legal, is that water even safe to dive in?

Last edited by pierreyaldo; 03-11-2014 at 12:27 AM.
pierreyaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Karma Trees

Re: Bubblers in the Agua Hedionda Lagoon?

Definitely illegal as far as I thought too man! Not too mention there is an oyster farm etc. in that lagoon too. Grew up surfing diving Carlsbad and have never seen anybody dive in there (minus us jumping in the current and letting it drag us out to the lineup haha)..crazy to think of guys with scuba in there. Its super shallow. I'm guessing those guys you saw are REALLY lucky you were the only one that saw them!
Karma Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:37 AM   #3
pierreyaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Schilling View Post
Definitely illegal as far as I thought too man! Not too mention there is an oyster farm etc. in that lagoon too.
Can't seem to find anything specific...

There was a thread on the exact same topic started in 2010 on this forum, it never seemed to reach a conclusion.

Either way pretty sure its illegal, but someones gotta know where the wording of this is though?

If not...make a joke or something...anything to get through the shitty vis and cold water
Old 03-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
Karma Trees

Just did a quick google search on it because I was under the impression it was a MLPA. The link shows it on the list of MLPA's in San Diego County yet the article in from 2009. Pretty sure nothing has changed though as San Diego still has all the same MLPA's listed there..if you look up the current DFG site it will quickly list these areas in san diego

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/revisedmp0108i.pdf
Old 03-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
pierreyaldo

Quote:
Just did a quick google search on it because I was under the impression it was a MLPA. The link shows it on the list of MLPA's in San Diego County yet the article in from 2009. Pretty sure nothing has changed though as San Diego still has all the same MLPA's listed there..if you look up the current DFG site it will quickly list these areas in san diego

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/revisedmp0108i.pdf

Yeah but I believe that only covers east of the I-5, thats what I've been confused over.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
Karma Trees

If you were "allowed" to dive anywhere in that lagoon it would only be around the YMCA on the east side of the train tracks, west side of the freeway. But im almost certain you cant dive AT ALL in the lagoon. Especially up where you described you saw the guys coming out. With the oysters and all that being farmed there I guarantee they dont want anybody in the water near all their profits haha. If you find anything out though DEF hit me up and Ill dive it with you. Been fishing there for years and have always wanted to dive it for Halis..
Old 03-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #7
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
If you were "allowed" to dive anywhere in that lagoon it would only be around the YMCA on the east side of the train tracks, west side of the freeway. But im almost certain you cant dive AT ALL in the lagoon. Especially up where you described you saw the guys coming out. With the oysters and all that being farmed there I guarantee they dont want anybody in the water near all their profits haha. If you find anything out though DEF hit me up and Ill dive it with you. Been fishing there for years and have always wanted to dive it for Halis..
A commercial fishing enterprise does NOT exclude recreational public fishing access to the water, if said water is a navigable waterway. Meaning, a private lake is off limits. And, though shore access may be denied like around rivers/ streams...... if you can get into that water and fish, then you are good to go legally.
Now; if the area is part of an MPA, it will depend on what kind of MPA. If it is an SMR, then it's a reserve, and no extraction. No way the oyster farms or jet ski operations are non extractive/ they will not in any way garner a high level of protection for the local intertidal and marsh species.
So, it's possibly an SMCA. State Marine Conservation Area. meaning fishing may be allowed. Or, it's an SMP State marine park. In which case, fishing very likely is allowed.
As to diving, the criteria for a river/ estuary you would not be allowed to spear in would be any river system in which salmon, steelhead, or sturgeon would be found. So that lagoon is not on that particular list.

Diving can be a magical thing, you can find some good stuff in the most unlikely of places.
But I tend to agree....... scuba in a lagoon is VERY Special Olympics level diving.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
Karma Trees

Im going to try an put a call into DFG about this topic! Who knows if i'll get a response but im tired of fishing in this lagoon and wishing I could jump in time after time! Ill post whatever response I get if I get one haha!