Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:55 AM   #1
Ryanfish

2016 World Championship Advice

Hey guys! My name is Ryan Myers. I'll be representing Team USA at the Spearfishing World Championships in Greece starting September 14, 2016. I grew up reading this forum daily and credit it with teaching me all of my early knowledge as well as connecting me with many of my first dive buddies. I haven't been as active posting lately but still skim most of the threads weekly. Competing at the world level has always been a dream of mine and I think it's incredible that it's finally coming true. I've worked this whole year saving money to get there early scout hard and give it my best. I leave June 2nd for Syros giving me an unprecedented 70 something days to acclimate and scout the local waters. Being one of the deeper divers in the US makes this worlds location perfect for me. We think the spearing will start at 130 and extend down past 200. Everyone will be using variable diving techniques. I've been training hard all year and am pretty comfy with consistent 200 foot variable drops. We estimate 20 minutes between these drops to prevent decompression sickness. I'm thinking 8 minutes between 130 foot drops and just estimating the surface interval times for depths in between. I intend to play it super safe with surface interval times and breath pure O2 at the end of every session. This board is a wealth of knowledge and Id like to try and tap into it again. I'm seeking any spearfishing/deep freediving/variable hunting/training/scouting/competition spearing/rigging advice anyone is willing to share. Also any local knowledge or contacts are greatly appreciated. I have nearly 3 years of my life invested in qualifying for this tournament through Nationals and The Pan Americans. I certainly have an uphill battle against many of the best in the world but think I'm the right guy to finally give the US a decent shot. Any help is greatly appreciated. Anything special you would like to keep private feel free to PM me. I'll be monitoring this thread regularly. Thanks again.
Ryanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:59 AM   #2
Mullins

Re: 2016 World Championship Advice

Leave some grouper for us?
Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #3
Snapper Mangler

Hell yea! Show em that Florida talent !
Overall be safe!
Snapper Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:02 AM   #4
TAKOTICKLA

I think once you said I'll be playing it safe with only 8 min drops that we should probably be asking you for the advice good luck, have fun and no fish is worth dying for is the best advice I could give you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
TAKOTICKLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:32 AM   #5
Timinator

Well, I'll probably get flamed for this, but WTFC's. I don't think the people putting on the World Championships should hold a meet where you have to dive > 120' to start seeing fish. That's just complete crap. It's a spearfishing championship, shouldn't have anything to do with depth, especially depths close to 200', really! If Greece is so shot out that there are no fish left from the surface till you get to 200' have the frigging meet somewhere else.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
armd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKOTICKLA View Post
I think once you said I'll be playing it safe with only 8 min drops that we should probably be asking you for the advice good luck, have fun and no fish is worth dying for is the best advice I could give you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
I believe he meant 8 minute surface intervals @ 130'
armd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #7
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Why is it that every year since I have joined its the same old boring story of how we have to dive sooooo deep 100+ feet to get fish because its so fished out??? We have to get special training, have a special deep diving coach. The. The US team comes home with their tails between their legs after getting spanked.

You know why that happens? Because our people cant figure out its not about a magical depth, its about fishing. Bottom line is US participants dont know the basics of fishing and especially outside our own borders.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:14 AM   #8
Ryanfish

Thanks for the support 2fishin2. The world circuit is all about flexibility. You must be able to dive in all conditions. The last worlds was held completely in less than 10 m.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:16 AM   #9
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

RM nothing personal against you. But, the fact remains what I said is truth. Do a you tube search for greece spearfishing and you will see plenty of shallow water good fish being taken.

The goal is to shoot fish, not dive deep. Put yourself in shallow productive water whee you can do mulitiple dives fast vs doing a 100ft dive that eats up 12 minutes of yours and anoher person's time wihout a guaranteed fish. Just simple math will give you the answer.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #10
Red Tide

Hey Ryan, Will this be a one day tournament or a multi day tournament? It sounds like you will have the place pretty well scouted out with 70 days of potential scouting. The tournament area/areas will be fairly small and learning the fish is what is all about. 30 days before the tournament is also a very important day to scout. The tides and moon will be similar to your comp days and the fish will be acting similar. Learn all of the tricks like blowing sand off the bottom, and dropping small rocks that you collect off the bottom. Do the one up and one down technique and get really good at communication with your team after each drop. Have at least 30 spots scouted out before the comp that are holding fish. Keep moving all day from spot to spot and do not fall in love with a spot that has no fish and is not producing. Come over and lets go for a dive before you leave and I will share some more pages from the Red Tide Bible.

Cheers and good luck.

G.R.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:50 AM   #11
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tide View Post
Hey Ryan, Will this be a one day tournament or a multi day tournament? It sounds like you will have the place pretty well scouted out with 70 days of potential scouting. The tournament area/areas will be fairly small and learning the fish is what is all about. 30 days before the tournament is also a very important day to scout. The tides and moon will be similar to your comp days and the fish will be acting similar. Learn all of the tricks like blowing sand off the bottom, and dropping small rocks that you collect off the bottom. Do the one up and one down technique and get really good at communication with your team after each drop. Have at least 30 spots scouted out before the comp that are holding fish. Keep moving all day from spot to spot and do not fall in love with a spot that has no fish and is not producing. Come over and lets go for a dive before you leave and I will share some more pages from the Red Tide Bible.

Cheers and good luck.

G.R.
Now that is advice. Like I said the comp is fish not deep diving. 70 days is a long time use it wisely, learn to fish tides and fish holding areas.

Look at the days of comp carefully, what are the moon phases, tidal flow?
Old 07-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #12
Ryanfish

Thanks GR I really wanted to make it to Tampa to learn your ways but unfortunately never got a chance. I'm already here we arrived yesterday. We will be out there everyday scouting and keeping a very detailed journal. My team doesn't come in till the 1st of September so mostly relying on a friend to safety till then. The competition zone is a 30 mile round island broken into 3 zones all of which will need to be scouted. It's a 2 day tournament. The competition will be solo with everyone on their own boat. 2fishin2 this particular island has no fish shallow. Zero. Anyone not hunting 100+ will have a zero score.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #13
AaronC
Sponsor

Good luck Ryan. GR, that's great advice for not only Ryan, but any other spearo trying to learn a thing or two.

F.I.I Certified Freedive Level 1 Instructor offering courses in the Tampa Bay area. Private courses also available upon request.
AaronC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #14
Red Tide

One more thing. Be super careful on day two. This is when you will get DCS. Don't dive deep a couple of days before the comp either. Repetitive deep diving at those depths is cumulative and if you do the math at the end of the day you will see how much time you actually spent below 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, 180 feet. The danger is reel. Example: 100 dives to 100 feet at 2 minutes per dive. See how that looks on a dive table. Do it two days in a row and you will not want to be getting on a plane anytime soon.
Lastly, the most important thing is to have fun. It is a hobby and you do it because it is fun. Keep it this way and you will do great.

Cheers,

G.R.

P.S. - Shoot big and shoot often!!
Old 07-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #15
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanfish View Post
Thanks GR I really wanted to make it to Tampa to learn your ways but unfortunately never got a chance. I'm already here we arrived yesterday. We will be out there everyday scouting and keeping a very detailed journal. My team doesn't come in till the 1st of September so mostly relying on a friend to safety till then. The competition zone is a 30 mile round island broken into 3 zones all of which will need to be scouted. It's a 2 day tournament. The competition will be solo with everyone on their own boat. 2fishin2 this particular island has no fish shallow. Zero. Anyone not hunting 100+ will have a zero score.
The koolaide people have already gotten to you. Open your mind and attitude, thats how to win. Enjoy your comp.