Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Memorials and Condolences for Diver Passings

Memorials and Condolences for Diver Passings This forum is intended for Rest in Peace Threads where we as a community offer condolences and memorialize those diver who have passed away. Safety, Accidents and Incidents discussion has a separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #76
diverik
The Duck-footed Destroyer

Re: Deadly Diver Disaster On Haulover Beach - Spearfishing Diver Rest in Peace 6-8-14

Sorry about your friend my dad died in 09 and I'm still not rite.
RIP
Old 08-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #77
AndrewK

Deadly Diver Disaster On Haulover Beach - Spearfishing Diver Rest in Peace 6-...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
So theres been some new developments on what happened to nate. If anyone was curious, Id rather not discuss out in the open just yet but I will soon as the time is right.

After discussing things with nate's family, I can share the info that developed.

Last week nates gopro that he was wearing on his fatal dive was returned to me by miami dade police.

I went over the footage and to put it bluntly, he had a terrible breathup and dove down to a little over 50 feet, shot a grouper (the same grouper I found floating on the surface that day) and went to swim up when the shaft fell out. He dove back down to grab the grouper and starting losing air and having contractions at just under 50 feet, sprinted to the surface and made it all the way up to the surface. he either blacked out just before surfacing or right after and his head was out of the water for 4 seconds. afterwards he sank back down to the bottom.

The video was hard to watch but it gave me the closure alot of us needed and told us what went wrong. This video wont make its way onto the internet in any way shape or

I appreciate the support from everyone here. itll be 2 months tomorrow that nates been gone.

Last edited by AndrewK; 08-08-2014 at 12:09 AM.
AndrewK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #78
Burnz
People for Kaboat

Re: Deadly Diver Disaster On Haulover Beach - Spearfishing Diver Rest in Peace 6-8-14

Thanks for sharing that info. Every bit of information from a tragedy like this can help prevent another one from happening.
Burnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #79
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Unhappy Re: Deadly Diver Disaster On Haulover Beach - Spearfishing Diver Rest in Peace 6-8-14

Quote:
After discussing things with nate's family, I can share the info that developed.

Last week nates gopro that he was wearing on his fatal dive was returned to me by miami dade police.

I went over the footage and to put it bluntly, he had a terrible breathup and dove down to a little over 50 feet, shot a grouper (the same grouper I found floating on the surface that day) and went to swim up when the shaft fell out. He dove back down to grab the grouper and starting losing air and having contractions at just under 50 feet, sprinted to the surface and made it all the way up to the surface. he either blacked out just before surfacing or right after and his head was out of the water for 4 seconds. afterwards he sank back down to the bottom.

The video was hard to watch but it gave me the closure alot of us needed and told us what went wrong. This video wont make its way onto the internet in any way shape or form.

I appreciate the support from everyone here. itll be 2 months tomorrow that nates been gone.
Thanks for sharing that information Andrew. Often in these instances, there is no final confirmation of what happened for the diving community to be aware of for their own safety considerations. Usually, the word is the cause of death was "accidental drowning." Considering that other causes like heart attack were probably eliminated in Nate's case, the GoPro footage you described indicates the cause was Shallow Water Blackout. I believe Nate would want this information shared and you did the right thing by conferring with his family. May Nate rest in eternal peace. Tony
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #80
OBLIGATED

Damn thats sadRIP
Old 08-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #81
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Thank you Andrew.

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you have an answer.

Mike
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #82
stillinscrubs

So sorry about your loss. If you have some closure, I am glad for you.
stillinscrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #83
malibujohn

Andrew, Thanks SO much for posting this info, as I know it must be difficult and my heart goes out to you!
Just yesterday, a buddy and I were 30 miles offshore and I had jumped in on a paddy, solo, to take a quick look. Not seeing anything from the surface I did a nice breatheup and dropped to about 40 feet, strumming my bands. Hung there for 30-40 seconds and started to ascend. As I did a school of yellows came into view and started circling, below me, checking me out. I stopped ascending and dropped back down, closing on the fish. I started getting THAT feeling right about then, but, in the moment, pressed on. The fish were wary and I ended up taking a hail mary that missed low, I think. Didn't see it, cause I was kicking for the surface, TRYING to relax, knowing I really pushed it this time. Broke the surface with a hand on my belt with buckle open, with a tingling sensation throughout my body. I was SO close to dropping that belt, but the sensation passed and I chose not to! Very similar situations and next time-I WILL drop the belt, after reading this today!
Again I am sorry for your loss, but as cliché as it sounds, he left us doing what he LOVED-and when my time is up, I wish I can be as lucky!!
Sincerely, John
malibujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #84
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibujohn View Post
Andrew, Thanks SO much for posting this info, as I know it must be difficult and my heart goes out to you!
Just yesterday, a buddy and I were 30 miles offshore and I had jumped in on a paddy, solo, to take a quick look. Not seeing anything from the surface I did a nice breatheup and dropped to about 40 feet, strumming my bands. Hung there for 30-40 seconds and started to ascend. As I did a school of yellows came into view and started circling, below me, checking me out. I stopped ascending and dropped back down, closing on the fish. I started getting THAT feeling right about then, but, in the moment, pressed on. The fish were wary and I ended up taking a hail mary that missed low, I think. Didn't see it, cause I was kicking for the surface, TRYING to relax, knowing I really pushed it this time. Broke the surface with a hand on my belt with buckle open, with a tingling sensation throughout my body. I was SO close to dropping that belt, but the sensation passed and I chose not to! Very similar situations and next time-I WILL drop the belt, after reading this today!
Again I am sorry for your loss, but as cliché as it sounds, he left us doing what he LOVED-and when my time is up, I wish I can be as lucky!!
Sincerely, John
Damn John, glad you made it back up. What you did sounds a lot like what the guy did in this post, he blacked out though. But very similar situation. post #55

Andrew, thanks for sharing that information. I can't imagine it was easy to watch that video at all. I hope people learn from this tragedy and practice safer diving, no fish is worth a life.

Dive safe
Chad
Old 08-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #85
skinneej

Re: Deadly Diver Disaster On Haulover Beach - Spearfishing Diver Rest in Peace 6-...

Quote:

The video was hard to watch but it gave me the closure alot of us needed and told us what went wrong. This video wont make its way onto the internet in any way shape or

Thanks for sharing. This information might save the life of someone else. Again, sorry for your loss.
skinneej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #86
North Star
Max

I have heard it said by many divers many times: Once you start for the surface, NEVER turn around to go back down for a fish - or for any other reason either. Ascent started, is ascent completed. No exceptions.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #87
searun
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
I have heard it said by many divers many times: Once you start for the surface, NEVER turn around to go back down for a fish - or for any other reason either. Ascent started, is ascent completed. No exceptions.
I am glad you mention this. I have had a couple of ooops moments in the last year and they all stemmed from aborting the ascent.

It's always the sight of a bigger Dungie that gets me. It seems so obvious that it's not worth it right now, but in the moment I need to make better decisions.

SR
Old 08-14-2014, 05:50 AM   #88
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

I just saw this post.. My deepest condolences to Nate's friends and family. Godspeed.

Be safe out there, guys..
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #89
SCreefhunter

Re: Deadly Diver Disaster On Haulover Beach - Spearfishing Diver Rest in Peace 6-...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibujohn View Post
Sincerely, John
RIP
Thank you for sharing Andrew, and John.
Nothing can bring one back, but it is these types of stories that will cement legacies and help others avoid similar tragedies.
I lost a friend in the ocean and it was the most hopeless feeling on the planet. And then for the seconds/minutes/days/weeks/months/years later you beat yourself up because you think there was something you could have done differently. I didn't sleep for 4 months, and then when I could sleep I had the worst nightmares of my life. Luckily my wife was strong and stood by me during my year long depression and drinking. Its been 4 and a half years, and a day doesn't go by where I dont think about him and that day, but the pain does begin to subside. Surround yourself with family and friends, and smile often. Its no ones fault. When the lord calls, you go, plain and simple.
This thread will save someones life, I can guarantee that.
RIP
SCreefhunter is offline   Reply With Quote